Panic

Part 28

Panic

It feels like I’m sleepwalking. I’m so tired but I can’t close my eyes. I’ve never been so scared in my whole life and I’m… frozen.

The ticking clock in the office a few rooms down is driving me crazy. Not to mention the smell of sterilizing and blood. I’m not used to large hospitals. The small clinic at home is more welcoming. Everything at home is a lot better than it is here.

Holy wolf spirits! Why did I ask them to come here? I should have left the troubles in the Denwood family alone. This is my punishment for tending to matters that is none of my business.

I wish I could cry. I wish I could yell and scream and hit something, feel anything besides the cold empty rock inside of me.

Mother is sitting paralyzed next to me. She’s just as worried as I am, but she is forcing herself to cope. The only thing that’s keeping us sane is Mary’s steady breathing. The doctors are still working on her. I don’t remember when father left to search for Kate. Was it an hour ago? Two? Three?

Why did I lose track of time to begin with?

It’s bad that father didn’t come back yet. It means that Kate is missing. I can barely breathe. I’ve never been so scared in my whole life. What did he do to our Little One?

Nurses and patients are passing us in a blur. I can’t focus on anything besides my own thoughts and Mary. Everything else is just tearing my focus apart.

I barely notice the hand on my shoulder. It’s the warmth that catches my attention. It feels comfortable and I accept the small gesture and focus on the person it belongs to. Something breaks inside of me. I can finally lean on someone else; depend on him to take care of me.

“Finally,” Mother mumbles next to me. “She didn’t respond to anything I said.”

I didn’t?

I give her a glance and she has a worried expression just for me. I don’t remember her ever worrying about me before. I don’t like it. I’m not supposed to make her worried. It feels like I’m letting her down. I can’t do anything she taught me and it scares even me!

The two warm hands are placed on my face and it feels nice. The voice talking feels like miles away but I can hear it clearly, but muffled like under water.

“Ray? Are you okay?”

I can’t answer him; the warmth holding my cheeks feels so nice. I close my eyes and let myself drift away.

“I think she’s fainting! Ray, wake up!”

I don’t want to wake up. Not ever. Not into a world where Mary is hurt and Kate missing. But the voice is soothing me. It’s a good voice, the voice of an angel.

-

I had a good dream. At least I think I had. I remember green leaves and the sound of a wild stream breaking through the landscape. Then there was the voice talking. It had a calming effect on me. It belongs to the warm hand holding mine in a tight grip.

I’m not ready to leave the protecting world of my peaceful dream, but what’s the point hanging on? I will still wake up to the same world I fell asleep in. I open my eyes slowly and find him watching me patiently with his sapphire blue eyes. They are eyes to drown in. I’d fall in love with him instantly if I could. The love I feel for this boy is much more precious. The tightest friendship a person can have.

“Adam.” His name leaves my lips so softly that I’m not sure he can hear me.

“Princess,” he answers me with a small smile.

“You called me Ray before.”

“Alpha Princess Ray,” he whispers with pride in his voice. “You saved Mary’s life. You did something amazing. The surgery is over and the doctors think she will recover completely.”

The tears start running from my eyes and I let them fall. I’m still in the hospital, in one of their hard uncomfortable beds.

“What’s wrong with me?” I ask him shakily.

“You went through a trauma. You’ll be alright, I promise.”

“Will you look after me until I’m myself again?”

“I will. I promise. Just rest and everything will be taken care of until you are ready to take over again.”

I close my eyes and try to focus on my wolf. It’s gone. I can’t even sense my Alpha powers.

“I’m scared, Adam. What if I never recover to what I used to be?”

It feels like I’m drowning again, drowning in a deep blue sea with no life boats to pick me up. His soothing voice sounds like mumbles and he’s disappearing on me. I’m left in the cold sea swimming with no land in sight.

I’m trapped inside terror and it is holding me deep in its grip. I’m vulnerable without the strength I used to possess. I am lost just like Kate.