Time Heals All Wounds

Jeffrey pov

Holding Addy close to me as she cried was something absolutely heartbreaking. We have been planning on bringing both of our children home today. We had dreamed about this day for months, in fact it was something that kept us going no matter what we have been through together.

To hear that one of them didn't make it crushes me. Not because of the way Addy is taking it but more so the way that I don't know how to handle it. I'm trying to keep a strong composure for her though. I'm trying to keep it together because I know the second I loose it that will prove to her how shitty this whole situation really is.

15 minutes go by

Addy has stopped crying and now she is laying here limply.

"I failed us" she finally spoke, barely loud enough for me to hear it.

"You did not fail us-"

"Yes I did! I failed you. I failed your family. I failed MY family. I had one job Jeffrey. And I couldn't even do that right"

They say part of the grieving stages is anger. So I let her continue speaking, not much could be said on my part.

"We wanted both of them back with us. And guess what? We are leaving with just one of them. I bought two of everything Jeffrey!l"

She stares at me waiting for a response, I part my lips to say something but she cuts me off

"Two car seats, two cribs, two baby baths TWO EVERYTHING"

"Baby listen to me-"

"You wanted both of them! I ruined it for you I ruined your chances I'm so stupid it's my fault!"

"It's not anyone's fault Addison!" Raising my voice "You had no control over this. This is something that happens"

"Should've been me"

Taken aback at her words silence falls I have to think carefully about what I'm going to say next because if I say something wrong this situation is going to blow up even bigger than it already has.

Sure. I am sad, I wanted both of my children and my wife leaving with me today. And maybe we can still have that, but how do I bring that up that there's a beautiful baby girl out in that nursery that nobody wants?

"Don't say those things.." is all I could muster up.

"Well nothing matters anymore. Now I just have to sell all the other stuff. Selling away the stuff I planned on using"

"Maybe we don't have to do that.." I look up to her "Baby there's something I wanna run by you"
—————————-
The doctor comes in holding our baby girl, Addisons eyes lit up as she finally got to hold her.

"Hello" she speaks softly kissing the top of our daughters head "I'm your mommy"

Our daughter doesn't make a sound she's just starring past Addison's shoulder eyeing me

She begins to whimper as a sign of upsetting behavior.

I back up slowly and she began to cry even louder

"No no Jeffrey come back" Addison smiles "I think she wants you"

Puzzled I walk over to the two of them and gently reach my hand out to our baby, she stops crying and stares up at me with wide eyes.

"Here" Addy hands her over to me in which I awkwardly hold her.

I'm not really used to baby babies, and I don't want to do the wrong thing to upset her. I walk slowly to the seat next to Addys hospital bed and hold our daughter close to me, and before I knew it she shut her eyes, and within the next five minutes she was fast asleep.

Within the five minutes the doctor came back and asked us what we would like to name our baby girl.

Addy looks over to me and gestures me to say something

I felt honored really, but shouldn't that be a mother kinda thing? I mean I thought dads were supposed to agree with whatever the mom wanted.

"What do you think?" She questions

I shrug and look back down at our girl, maybe if I look at her the name will pop up to me.

Arianna? No.. that reminds me of that horrid pop singer..

It pops up to me

"Clementine"

Addy looks at me confused "Clementine?"

"Clementine."

She nods her head "That's pretty.. Clementine Rae Morgan?" She questions

I pause and look back down at her "I don't think the middle name is necessary"

"It kinda.. is" Chuckling Addy looks up at the doctor "wouldn't you agree?"

The doctor tenses up "Well I mean I think Clementine is a wonderful name doesn't really need to be followed up with anything"

Addy shrugs "Clementine.. hm.. what about Lee?"

"No. I like just Clementine" I spoke sure of my decision

"Well Clementine it is than" Addy finishes up the paper work and it was almost time for us to head on home.

She's holding Clementine and I thought that maybe now would be a good time to bring up the baby that's just sitting in the nursery, I feel like that'll lift her spirits

"Hey so.. I know you're feeling a little down about our other member" I speak carefully

She nods not once taking her eyes off Clementine.

"Well I'm a firm believer in signs, you know this"

"Yes I know this"

I shift my weight on each foot and continue "Earlier while you were going through labor I.. went to the nursery, you know just looking at all the newborns trying to get a feel of what I'm going to be expecting"

"Uh huh that's great" she looks up to me "Go on?"

"I noticed an unlabeled container thingy I don't know what they call it but you know what I'm talking about right?"

She laughs slightly "yes Jeffrey I know what you're talking about"

"Okay yeah cool so there was this little baby girl with no name, nobody seemed to claim her and the guy who sorta saved her life comes up to me and explains how she was left outside in the cold.. and that's not even the worst part. Outside of a McDonald's."

Her jaw dropped "that poor thing! How could someone do that?"

"I have no clue, but I know that we could use the extra company in our home and I just.. was wondering maybe we adopt her"

There was brief silence in the room Addy went to say something but stopped. I could tell she was thinking.

"I think what happened here today was supposed to happen Addy, this isn't just some coincidence. We were meant to be that baby girls parents.. I just feel it!" Excitement laced my voice and I could tell she wanted to be happy but at the same time it was killing her.

"The baby wouldn't be ours Jeffrey.."

"Yes it would! Addison listen the baby was meant for us I know it I have never felt so sure on something in my entire life!"

"But what about our other child how can I just forget him?"

"There is no forgetting baby we aren't replacing him.. time heals all wounds-"

"Fine" she interrupted "As long as we promise eachother that this isn't just some replacement to our problems at hand"

"I promise you baby".