What friends are for

Start from the beginning

I’m standing next to the bed dressed in my uniform. I’m too restless to go back to bed. I should start on my training. A part of me wants to stay here with my mate, but the stronger part wants to get some training done.

Since when did I get love sick? That’s right, never.

I leave through the porch door and jog towards Carlie’s house. The night is more mysterious to me without all the familiar sounds and the night vision. I’m not scared; it just feels different to be so powerless.

Powerless is definitely a wrong word to use, hmm… what about sleepwalking?

No, my senses are just cloven. That’s the word I’m trying to find, Adhaerentia.

It shouldn’t be too hard to break into their house. There’s a tree outside Carlie’s bedroom window and I easily climb the oak. I like to climb trees; it makes me feel closer to nature. It’s easy to find a hold on the hard rough wood.

I grip one of the branches and swing myself onto their roof without making a sound. I push open the attic window and snort when I realize that it isn’t locked. It doesn’t squeak so they must use it quite regularly.

It’s almost too easy, I think as I land on the clean attic floor. Her father is using the attic as an atelier where he creates his paintings. You’d think he’d want to keep a lock on that window to protect his valuable work. But who would steal in the Niceville Pack?

I walk quickly down the carpeted stairway and find Carlie’s room in front of me. I open and close her bedroom door quietly and sigh over the fact that I can’t make any sound shields.

I’ve been in her room a few times before and I remember it just as messy as it is now. Carlie is sprawled on her bed, sleeping on top of the blanket, only wearing a purple pajama. She looks cute in her sleep and she’s snoring lightly. I take a seat on her armchair and close my eyes, happy that I made it this far without getting caught.

Who in their right mind would break into their friend’s house?

I laugh inwardly at myself. Obviously I’m not sane. Fine, I am sane. I just rather spend the night here with my friend than the pressing atmosphere in the Denwood’s mansion. Mother should have left me at the hospital. I’d feel better if I was closer to Mary. I’d feel better at home; eating the cookies with milk that mother always gives us when we are feeling unwell.

Kate, where are you? I can’t stand the thought of you being in the hands of a stranger. What is he doing with you?

I start shaking as the tears starts falling down my cheeks. I can’t hold back a few sobs. I hide my face in my hands. Wolf Spirits, what am I supposed to do?

“Ray?” a sleepy Carlie whispers from bed.

“I’m sorry,” I cry. “It’s just…” I lose my words. There’s nothing I can say to explain the terror I feel inside of me.

“Come here,” she says softly and makes room for me in her bed.

I get up from the chair and head over to her. I climb down under the blanket she’s holding up for me and she puts her arm around me. It feels better than Vincent’s arms because he made me feel too good. I don’t want to feel good. I just want someone to hold me who doesn’t cloud over my feelings.

“My sisters…”

“I know, I heard the search party. I’m so sorry.”

Her voice is filled with sadness. Nothing from her anger earlier today is shoving through. I’m sure she didn’t forgive me yet and honestly I don’t want her to do that. I don’t want her to change one bit about herself.

“It feels like it’s my fault for bringing them here. They arrived this morning.”

My throat hurts and Carlie reaches out for the glass of water on her nightstand and gives it to me.

“Drink up,” she orders me and I swallow it all down.

“Thanks,” I sigh and put the empty glass back. I don’t know what to say but she seems to understand that.

“I’m here, Ray,” she comforts me. “Just try to rest a bit.”

My eyes are getting heavy and I let myself drift off to dream land without any nightmares this time.

-

I wake up at ten in the morning. Carlie is not next to me. Did she go to school?

My human senses must be really bad since I didn’t hear her get up. She must have crawled all over me since her bed is placed against the wall.

I know what to do now and I need to do it on my own. I hope my parents forgive me for returning home without a word to them. I steal a few bills from Carlie’s savings and leave her a note that I will pay her back. I hope she won’t freak. At least I’m telling her what I’m up to this time.

My wolf ran home. I will find her when I get there again. I can’t do any of my Alpha duties if I don’t unite with my wolf. I will just waste my time by waiting for it to come back.

The door opens and Carlie comes in and catches me with the note and bills in my hand.

“You are not leaving without me, are you?” she asks harshly and I smile at her stubborn expression.

“I guess I’m not,” I add with relief.

“Let me just pack a few things and then we’ll get going.”

It literally just takes a few minutes and I smile at her way of throwing things down into a backpack without organizing it. We take her car. Why use the train when we can drive all the way?

It feels better after we leave River Hill. I know I’ll never set my foot there again.

“Your parents will freak.”

She laughs loudly at my comment.

“You know what, Ray? I couldn’t care less. I’m joining your pack.”

“Of course you are,” I say quietly and watch the landscape pass as we’re driving far above the speed limit.

Two seventeen’s are on the road, escaping their families and leaving their mates behind. They don’t need them at the moment. The friendship they’re sharing is enough for now.