Chapter 73: Penthouse Pauper

Start from the beginning

My hands rattled as I sat the purse down on the bed and opened it, pulling out one of the guns I had purchased from Bones. Pursing my lips, I stood tall and thought about why I was even doing this. My husband, my son, myself...my family. Protect what's yours, right?

"Amber?!" Julia called out from downstairs.

"Y-yeah, give me a second, I'm coming." I called out, lifting my hoodie up and glancing at the gun to see that safety was still on. Sighing, I slipped the gun into the waistband of my jeans and pulled my hoodie back down.

Just like Billy.

"What's the plan?" Billy asked the driver, breaking the awkward silence.

"Well, buddy-"

"Billy."

"Well, Billy... first thing's first. You're no longer 'Billy', tonight you're 'B', you never know who's wired." The driver explained, "Secondly, you do what the crew says. Boss told me you're gonna be the one to go in and finish the job."

Billy nodded, glancing out the passenger window, noticing Jamie finally catching up with the van Billy was in. Tightening his jaw, Billy remained watching Jamie tail the van through the passenger side mirror.

"Where's this place?" Billy asked dully, glancing over at the driver.

"About a mile north, huge fuckin' mansion, only fuckin' mansion on the hill actually..." The driver chuckled.

"You think it's gonna be easy?" Billy asked.

"Fuck no... I'm just prayin' this prick don't have more security than we do a crew."

"And if he does?"

"Did you remember to kiss your loved ones before you left? Cause if ya didn't... you're gonna wish you did if shit goes bad tonight." The driver replied.

Billy clicked his jaw to the side and nodded slowly before turning his attention back to the mirror, staring at Jamie.

Jamie nodded at Billy before speeding up to pass the van. He pulled out his cellphone from his pocket and began to dial a number. Jamie sniffed hard, wishing he had snorted a few more lines before doing this job.

"Hey," Jamie said into his phone.

"Where ya at?" Bodie asked on the other end.

Jamie glanced in his rearview mirror, watching as the van's headlights came into view. Jamie glanced around the area and immediately read off the name of the nearest gas station and what highway they were on.

"Don't move the fuckin' body, get out of there immediately." Bodie instructed.

"I'll call you back once I have Billy," was the last thing Jamie said before hanging up on Bodie and slamming on his breaks in front of the van Billy was in.

"What the fuck?!" The driver exclaimed, slamming on his breaks.

"What in the God damn-" the driver grunted, watching as Jamie got out of the truck and made his way over to the drivers side window.

"Hope you kissed your loved ones," Billy stated as Jamie fired a shot through the window, killing the driver.

"Looks like we found the 'rat',"Jamie chuckled at the dead man in the driver's seat.

"Give me your keys," Billy demanded.

"I ain't drivin' with this fuckin' bleeding prick!" Jamie exclaimed.