Taehyung: Always My Princess (But Not My Queen)

You stood in front of the large panel mirror, gazing at the woman staring back at you. You resembled a queen, standing there in your large, pluming wedding dress and your hair done in a beautiful, yet simple, ponytail of soft curls down your back and side-bangs neatly tucked behind your left ear. Your veil neatly hid your hair without messing it up, falling down your back until it blended in with your dress. Everything about you was beautiful today and you knew it. 

Today, you would be marrying the man of your dreams; the same man you've loved for two years and decided to spend the rest of your life with. He was beautiful, too. He was well-built and tall, very caring and held you top-priority. He was the kind of man you wanted to raise a large family with - hell, you had already talked about having children with him. You were certain that this was the man you wanted to grow old with and be buried next to. 

A gentle knock on the door startled you out of your thoughts. A little smile graced your lips as you noticed who stood in the doorway. "Don't you know it's bad luck to see the bride before the ceremony?" you chided, earning a deep chuckle that echoed through the cavernous antechamber. 

"But you're not my bride, baby," he sighed sadly, yet truthfully, and you nodded forlornly. 

"I know, Taehyung."

Kim Taehyung sighed and stood next to you, peacefully observing you in the mirror. "You look like a queen," he stated quietly, a small, closed-lipped smile on his face. "Thanks. I feel like one," you giggled out and Taehyung clasped his hands behind his back. A silence fell over the both of you as you stared at each other through the mirror, admiring each other. 

This man, this man was your first love. He gave you all of him, just like you gave him all of you. At one point in time, the two of you were the epicenters of one another's universes. You dated him the last two years of high school and all of college, as well as three years after. Nine years total with Kim Taehyung. So many years with this man, yet you just couldn't marry him. 

A year before you met your husband-to-be, you had returned the beautiful engagement ring that Taehyung had slipped onto your finger ten months before. The night you returned the ring - the night you gave Taehyung up - was the most gut-wrenching and heartbreaking night of your lives. You'd only ever see Taehyung cry twice; the first time when his mother passed away and then the night you gave him up. You knew that night was one of the worst nights of his life; the future he had in his head was taken away from him. He lost everything, just like you had. 

But now he was there one your wedding day; not as your future husband, but as your support. He stuffed one of his hands in his left pocket, pulling out what looked like a jewelry box from it. "I have a present for you, (Y/N)," he said, handing the box out for you to open. You obliged, gasping at the marvelous pearl necklace sitting there. "You didn't, Tae," you whispered, staring up at him with wide, fascinated eyes. 

"I did," he confirmed, "because I needed to give you a wedding gift. Those were my mother's. She wore them on her wedding day, and I wanted you to wear them on yours, too." He carefully took them out of the box and fastened them around your neck. The purple hue matched your bouquet, which sat on an end-table nearby. 

Taehyung smiled as he gazed at your reflection, rubbing your shoulders with his thumbs. "See? Now you really do look like a queen." He took the empty box and set it on a table, then made his way to stand directly in front of you. Tears filled his eyes as he rubbed your arms, taking deep breaths to calm himself down as he smiled. 

"I'm proud of you, (Y/N). I'm so, so proud of you."

It always hurt to see him cry. When he cried, you quickly followed no matter the circumstance. You reached up and held his face in your hands, wiping away his tears the best you could. "Why?" you whimpered, searching his eyes for an answer. But Taehyung cleared them and held your wrists gingerly as he turned his face into one of your palms. "Because you found someone who loves you just as much, if not more, than I do," he mumbled, opening his eyes to train them on your own.