Hoseok: I Need You

No one wants to hurt the ones they love. But, what if every bruise, every papercut, appeared on your soulmate? Would you spend your life tiptoeing around danger just so that you wouldn't hurt a complete stranger? What if your soulmate was your best friend?

No matter how much you wanted to tiptoe around danger and not hurt yourself or your soulmate, you still didn't get to play by these rules. Your soulmate, whoever it was, had other plans. Every morning at around three, you would wake up to the feeling of someone carving fine lines into your thighs. You would feel the blood running down from the cuts, but they hurt so bad that you could barely walk to the bathroom.

So now, you always slept with a first-aid kit by your bed and often had to restock it about once a week. But it wasn't you who was doing this, obviously. It was your soulmate. Your soulmate was deliberately hurting themselves, but probably had no clue how the whole soulmate-thing even worked... you hoped...

But you had your best friend and literal sunshine, Jung Hoseok, to talk to this about. He was four years older than you, but you two had known each other for as long as you could remember. The two of you were so close that you could walk into each other's houses like you owned the place, change in the same room, even shower together if you truly wanted to (but the last time it happened was because you both were running late and needed a quick shower after going running).

You often told each other, "I love you," but it was more meant in a sibling-love than in that kind of love. Of course it was. That was how it always was. It didn't bother either of you in the slightest. Plus, you did love your sunshine friend like a brother. That was his role in your life, just like you were his little sister that he never had.

But, ever since you started high school, you began to think that maybe your sibling love wasn't sibling love at all. Every little thing Hoseok did and said always made your heart skip a beat and bring a smile to your face. And the way he held you when he wanted a hug, watched movies with you, or spent the night made you feel like this was how you two were supposed to be. But you kept those thoughts tucked away in the back of your brain.

There was a catch to Hoseok that no ordinary person would find out just by looking at him, though. Hoseok was far from happy. You knew he was depressed by the way his eyes didn't shine like they used to. You knew there was something wrong when he stopped dancing, but only realized it once his eyes became dull and his passion was lost. Your sunshine just wasn't himself anymore, and it broke your heart.

Still, you always held him while he cried, calmed him down over the phone when you couldn't be near him and you always made sure he knew how much you cared for him. And to you, it seemed to work; his eyes weren't as dull, he smiled a little more and he hugged you with the reassurance that he would be okay. You even caught him dancing in the hallway after you told him how much you loved and cared about him once.

Everything seemed to be fine. Or so you thought.

"Sunshine, do you want me to stay the night?" you asked, looking up to gaze at Hoseok's side profile as you both watched Jigsaw. He was completely against the movie at first, but once he realized it was just gruesome, he seemed to be okay with it. Right now, you were cuddling on the couch as you watched the movie, head resting on his shoulder while he kept a protective arm around you.

He looked to you and nodded, rubbing your hip like he always did when he was content. "Please stay with me. I don't want to be alone tonight." Quiet. He was so quiet and it hurt to think that your usually loud sunshine didn't want to be himself anymore. You frowned and laid your hand over his heart, smiling slightly when he placed his hand over yours and laced your fingers together. "I got you, Hobi," you whispered and he smiled that heart-shaped smile that never failed to make your heart flutter.