Chapter 69: I Know What You're Going Through

Start from the beginning

She headed out, past Stefan, without providing him with any extra information.

***

"I love New York," said Sam as he, Alex and Tyler took a seat out in the patio restaurant of their hotel. "It felt good to be together on stage again last night, didn't it?"

"Yeah," Tyler agreed. "Though it sucks in a matter of days we'll be going our separate ways again. Yesterday was fun."

"You know what else is fun," said Sam, looking past Tyler. "Uninvited guests that I invited but you didn't know anything about."

"What?" said Alex. He and Tyler followed Sam's gaze to the entrance. Travis was walking towards them.

"Oh hey," Tyler called out as Travis reached them. "What's up man?"

"Not much," Travis responded, hands in his pockets as he glanced around the patio. "I've been in town finishing my album and Sam said you guys were coming in so I'm just dropping by on the way to the studio."

"Cool," Alex said.

Sam stood up, clearing his throat and saying, "Alex, hey. I forgot we had to go make a really important call."

"We what?" Alex responded.

Sam urged him to get up, tugging on his elbow. "The call about the girls, man," he said. "Let's go."

Confused, Alex didn't budge, but Sam forced him up and made him follow. As they left Travis took a seat and continued talking to Tyler.

"Here's fine," said Sam, stopping a long distance away and pulling out his cellphone.

"What's wrong with the girls?" asked Alex. "Also which girls? The twins, I'm assuming? Are they okay?"

"Probably, but the call thing was fake," Sam said, looking over at Tyler and Travis as discreetly as possible. "I was thinking about why Tyler would choose now to tell us he had a past with men. Just wanting to go see him didn't seem like enough to me. And I realized that it's because he probably had feelings for a guy again. And none of us knowing he was bisexual stood in the way of him being able to act on them. And at you-know-who's wedding the other day, I realized... That person is Travis."

Alex stared at Sam in confusion and said, "What?" He looked over at Tyler and Travis, having a typical conversation. "Are you just seeing things now because you know his sexuality?" he asked.

Sam hook his head, "Definitely not. This isn't in my head, okay. Just watch them but play close attention."

Back at the table, Tyler was saying, "So how's everything been? Is the thing that was bothering you still bothering you?"

"What?" Travis responded. "What thing?"

"Oh, come on," Tyler said. "You've been acting weird for a while and before you try it again, I still don't buy the 'I'm just stressed about the album' thing."

"Do we really have to have this conversation every time we talk now?" Travis asked, rolling his eyes. "Look, my stuff is my stuff. You wouldn't understand it even if you tried so can you drop it already? It's so annoying."

"Travis, I didn't—" Tyler began.

"I have to go or I'll be late," said Travis, getting up. "Looks like the guys are busy so give my best to them."

Travis swiftly left without hearing out Tyler's apology. A few seconds later, Sam and Alex hurried over. "What happened?" asked the former. "Why'd he leave so soon?"

"I annoyed him," Tyler shrugged. "It sucks man. I keep trying to be a good friend to him since I know he's going through a lot. But it's hard when he won't talk about what's bothering him. And I just strike out every time I try to get it out of him. It's not just me. The other guys—Damian, John, X—they've pointed out Travis being weird, too. So we know something's up but he hasn't told anyone. It was so much easier talking to him before. And lately it's like something changed and... Why are you looking at me like that?"