“You can feel safe with me in the house,” the other woman tells me and carries Ray to her room. Tom stays in the living room and I walk behind them to help her settle her oldest daughter for the night. “I left my Mary at the hospital but I will not let Princess stay there too.”

“What’s wrong with her?” I ask as we walk back to the living room.

“She had a huge shock. Let’s get Tom a bed. I can tell you everything once he’s settled.”

“Okay,” I agree. “He can sleep in the boys’ room.”

“That sounds good. Tom did you hear that?” his mother asks in a low voice.

“Yes, mother,” Tom answers and comes running towards us.

I can’t help but feel jealous when I see Mrs Ray tuck in her only son for the night. She loves her children and would die for them if she could. She’s trying to stay strong for Tom’s sake. I hope I’ll become a mother like that one day, if that ever happens.

I return to the kitchen to give them some privacy. Will their family ever be alright after this?

I cook some coffee and tea since I don’t know what Mrs Ray prefer. I set the table and she joins me when it’s all ready. It’s like she avoided me so I could finish preparing before she came. Ninjans are known for their superior senses.

“Please call me Starley,” she says and looks at the cookies with endless sadness. “Can I get a plate and a glass of milk?”

“Sure,” I add and rush to get the milk out of the fridge. I give her what she asked and she puts a cookie on the plate. She then leans down to kiss it and pass it to the other side of the table.

“It’s for Kate,” she says. “I won’t mind a cup of coffee.”

I pour her a cup and myself some tea.

“I…” I start. “I’m really sorry.”

“My children are the most precious things in my world,” she tells me with the same monotone voice she’s been using since I saw her. “I’m sorry I kept you up.”

“It’s not like I’d get much sleep anyway,” I tell her honestly. “How is your injured girl?”

“Mary is healing. She’ll be alright. I don’t want to leave her side, but she’s in good care in the hospital. I don’t want Tom and Princess to spend any more time in the hospital and I won’t be much help if I don’t get a few hours of sleep.”

She takes a few breathes before continuing.

“I prepared Princess for everything besides this. You can’t teach someone how to handle a situation like the one we had today. She will come out of this stronger than she ever was before and she will be determined. At the moment she’s completely shocked from the trauma. Her wolf left her to handle the situation on its own. We’re weak without our wolf. It will come back to her when it’s ready. She found Mary bleeding to death in the forest. It’s not something she’ll easily get over.”

“She’s got Adhaerentia!” I gasp shocked over the rare possibility of a wolf separating itself from the human.

“I’m impressed that you know about that,” Starley says approvingly. “Will you help me look after her until she feels better again?”

“Of course I will!” I agree immediately.

“Good. The search party is returning. Let’s meet them at the door.”

I can’t hear anything, but I follow her to the hall anyway. We only have to wait a few minutes before my brother, Vincent, Mitch and Gabriel walks into the room.

My heart starts racing at the sight of the gorgeous mate I have the honor to call my mate. He’s so handsome that my knees start shaking. He’s wearing black jeans and a shirt. He’s sweaty from all the running, but I only find that smell more attractive. I can’t tear my eyes off from him, but I can still see Starley throwing herself into her husband’s arms.

“We found the track but lost it three hours from here,” Mitch explains to her. “They used a car to travel and the smell disappeared. A unit from the Sandplay Pack took over the search from there. No trace of injury could be smelled along the way, so Kate is most likely unharmed.”

“That’s relieving to hear. My poor baby.” Starley’s voice is shaking and she’s fighting against the tears. “Mary’s stabilized. She will recover completely.”

Mitch sighs in relief.

“I’ll find my little cousin even if it’s the last thing I do, Aunt Starrie,” Gabriel cuts in.

“Gabriel,” she shakes her head in wonder. “I’m so happy you’re here.”

“Everyone did well today.” Mitch says. “What about we get something to eat and some sleep.”

“You’re welcome to stay here,” I tell Vincent and can’t keep back my concern when I look him into his tired eyes. “Ray is in her room. She needs you.”

I wish I could ask Gabriel to stay in my room tonight. That would be so fantastic.

“So this is the mate,” Starley says with a harsh glare towards Vincent.

“Not now, honey,” Mitch says and drags her to the kitchen.

We all follow behind them. The men must be so hungry after all the searching. I stop in surprise when I enter the kitchen.

Kate’s glass of milk is empty and the cookie is gone.