“We were supposed to look after them for an hour. One hour, Kaitlyn! I was too busy listening to Gretel to notice them leave our property. How am I ever going to be able to mend for this?”

I’ve never seen him so nervous before. My brother is a good Alpha. Our pack is kind and friendly, even if it often is false friendliness. He was always the rock in my life, but now it seems like it’s my turn to toughen up.

“The little girls are Ninjan, Jack,” I tell him sternly. “They are probably mastering the technique of sneaking. Don’t blame yourself too much. Get yourself together and do what you’re supposed to do.”

He nods at me and send a helpless look at the cookies the triplets made this morning. How can someone want to attack such wonderful children?

“Look all doors and windows,” he order me with a sigh. “These cookies belong to Mrs Ray.”

“Okay. I’ll take care of everyone here. Go.”

I watch him leave the house and the funny feeling in my stomach won’t go away. It’s awful when a child is the victim. I hope they find the missing girl and that the other one will survive.

A small hand grabs mine and I look down on Bradley’s tear stained face.

“I promise I didn’t mean it,” he sobs. “I didn’t know they would leave the garden.”

“What are you on about?” I ask him gently and being his small body into a hug.

“I said she couldn’t play with us. She and her sister ran away. I thought they were at the front.”

“Of course you didn’t know,” I try to comfort him.

Sunshiny Pack children always do what they are told. They can’t imagine another child breaking that kind of rule. Not when it comes to safety.

I’m still not sure what’s going on, but a search party is out looking for the missing triplet. A few guards are outside the house to protect us. At least I’ll be able to keep my thoughts off Gabriel for a little while.

-

The boys are sleeping in Gretel’s bed, with Gretel in it too. She refused to let her sons be alone during the night. This is the most motherly she’s ever done to them since they were one year olds. They are not allowed to be in their parent’s bedroom so they felt uneasy about sleeping in there.

I am sitting in the kitchen, with the basket of cookies still on the table. One of the guards had brought us take-away food since none of us was in a mood for cooking. I spent most of the day cleaning the house after the pirate attack. Even the little boys helped without complaining.

We’re all worried about the Ray family and no one from the search party has returned yet. That’s bad news.

I knew that Ray was an Alpha to be from the moment I saw her. She tricked everyone else nicely. I remember how my brother was acting after he was picked up by our former Alpha. He kept it secret for a few weeks, but that was enough for me to recognize the signs on Ray.

This must be so difficult for her. I don’t know what I’d do if something happened to my brother or nephews.

I hear keys in the front door and I hurry to the hall.

“That’s alright Adam,” I hear Mrs Ray say as the door opens. “We’ll be fine now.”

Starley is carrying Ray who seems to be asleep. The teenage girl is covered in dried blood. I gasp at the sight. There is so much and in her hair too. Tom looks abandoned without his triplet sisters. Adam closes the door after them and I hurry over to lock it.