|24|~The Truth Will Set You Free~

Edited.
Claire POV.

"Wakey, wakey, wakey . . ."

Xander's deep voice breaks into my consciousness like a character straight from a horror movie, disturbing my very comfortable slumber.

Go away.

"Wake up, brave one. It's time for your first lesson."

Go away! Go away! I never liked school.

"Claire, wake up."

So, he's not going to go away?

"No, I'm not going away. We have less than three days before the new moon, which means you have less than seventy-two hours to make your first move."

I don't want to move. Nope. I want to stay right here, wrapped up in these silk sheets, sleeping on this fluffy silk pillow, on this big comfortable bed. Yes, this is the life! Sleeping my life away in this bomb-ass bed. I like it.

Xander must have finally learned how to stay out of my head. I'm only saying this because he doesn't respond.

Keep your big mouth shut.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I knew my smart mouth would eventually pay off. Thank you, Miss Smarty-pants for gluing the blood monster's mouth shut. I would have made a kick-ass big sister, chasing my sibling's bad dreams away.

I'm very close to catching some more zzz's and extremely close to snoring my life away when I hear plates clattering, and the most delightful smell invades my senses.

Fuck! The blood monster comes with reinforcements. He is breaking down my defense. I can't win against that smell, that mouthwatering aroma of maple syrup, butter, and pancakes! Oh geez, that smell would wake me up from my death bed.

I open my eyes and immediately jump out of bed.

Xander is standing in the center of the room, holding a platter filled with stacks of pancakes. I watch the dripping maple syrup and notice they're topped with powdered sugar. My stomach roars, and he flashes a Chesire-like smile, showing off his pearly white fangs.

"The school is required to document every single time a student misbehaves," informs Xander proudly.

"With that being said, it wasn't that hard to find out about your little arrangement with the school cooks." He moves the plate filled with fluffy heaven from left to right. My eyes follow his movements.  Oh my gosh! I can't believe they actually documented how many times I've bribed the cook. So what? Who wouldn't blackmail a person to make pancakes?

That's a little too much, don't you think? No one should know that I would do anything, I mean anything in my power to have those delicious flour cakes with sugary contents on top. They are just that good.

I lick my lips. "Okay, you win. I will complete whatever lesson you want me to. Just give me those goddamn pancakes."

Xander provides a triumphant smirk. Oh, I'm starting to hate that deadly, beautiful, evil, goddamn smirk.

He passes me the tray, nodding his head after I grab it. I could only hope that was a gesture indicating that I can eat, but with or without it, I would have dived in.

The moment the tray is in my hand. I waste no time doing exactly what I said: diving right in, devouring the fluffy heaven cakes. They taste as good as they smell.

Xander is still watching me with a smug look on his face, looking like a kid who was gifted with a shiny new toy. He has found my weakness, and he knows it.