|21|~Royal Family~

Claire POV.
Edited.

"What the hell is a human doing in your bed? Let alone this defiant little pet. Have you completely lost your mind?" King Nicklaus's mother hisses, her eyes glow redder with every second that passes. She is obviously one of those vampires whose hatred for humans runs deep.

"Relax. She is only recovering, Mother," explains Xander, "Nicklaus lost control during their feeding session, taking more blood than he should have. She was bleeding out on the dining room floor. We wouldn't want to damage the marble, now would we?"

His choice of words, soaking in sarcasm, mocks her. I don't know what type of relationship these two have, but based upon his attitude, one thing comes to mind: Xander is not the mama's boy type. Hopefully, I don't end up in the middle of some wicked son-and-mother dispute. Xander and King Nicklaus already have their panties in a bunch because of me, for whatever reason, and I don't like being placed in the center of a family fight.

They should value one another. None of them has a clue how it feels to not have a family. I really shouldn't care. I mean, they are the reason why I don't have a family of my own. But, that would be inhuman.

"Watch your tone, boy," his mother warns.

Her glowing orbs now center on Xander, whose eyes also glow bright red.

I can't help but notice how similar they are, appearance-wise anyway. The kings and their mother all share pitch-black hair and angular noses. I don't know the true shade of Lady Akasha's eye color, since she's always walking around like Queen Evil whenever I'm in her presence. I wouldn't be surprised if she was born with red eyes. She's the queen of the walking dead, with a black heart. It's not ironic for her true eye color to be red. The Queen of Evil with crimson eyes. Yup, that fits her.

I wonder if Xander and King Nicklaus inherited their eyes from their dad. Their eyes are both icy. However, Xander's irises are gray, kind of like the sky before it snows. King Nicklaus's are more like silver-cerulean orbs that cause my heart to feel like it's in the center of an ice storm. Those eyes of his always give me broad chills.

"Mother, calm down. It's not that serious," King Nicklaus cuts in, those stormy orbs are at their normal shade, sending icicles to freeze my heart.

Lady Akasha's focus shifts to King Nicklaus. She looks at him in a different way than she looks at Xander. I can see that warm motherly affection, sort of. I mean, I think I can. Honestly, I don't know how a mom should look at her child, but I suppose it should be similar to how she's looking at him. I can also see the love beaming out of King Nicklaus's eyes.

From what I've witnessed, he usually seems intimidating and cold when he's around other vampires. He tends to appear guarded around the other vampire kings and slaves, but right now he doesn't. His cool and calm demeanor at the moment has me on edge. I don't know what to expect, but it's different, a good different.

It's weird and kind of foreign watching a mother and a son interact. My mouth feels dry, as I continue to witness their interaction. You would think that I'm invisible. No one seems to be paying attention to me as I can't help myself staring directly at them.

"That's funny coming from you, especially when the only reason I'm here is that you and your brother were just fighting and shaking the entire castle. I suggest you take your own advice and then maybe I shall follow suit," their mother states.

King Nicklaus's calm demeanor shifts before our eyes in less than a second.

Here comes the cold-hearted, devil-may-care king. He doesn't like her tone, mother or not. From what I have seen so far, this king doesn't tolerate disrespect from anybody, mother included. I don't know how to feel about that.