|65|~ An Angry King~

Nicklaus POV.
Unedited.

Xander's mind linked with me as soon as I realized Claire had taken off. The monster within me sensed my aggravation. I told Xander to head to the airport while I retrieve Claire. He wasn't happy about it. Actually, none of them were, but they agreed to go ahead without us.

We can't afford to waste another moment.

Claire had to run off to chase after a pack of mutts. It wasn't a surprise when my men alerted me that her scent ended there. I know Claire has a soft spot for those mutts. It didn't even surprise me when they told me that she entered the packhouse alone. My beloved doesn't fear anyone, but what did surprise me is the fact that she would leave me for this group of pathetic mutts she can't seem to shake. This is the second time she has done this shit, and it's unacceptable. I'm beyond the point of livid. The monster within me is ticking like a bomb, seconds away from exploding.

Claire willingly wandered into our enemy's territory. That thought alone cuts deeper than I care to admit or show. The power she has over me is nerve-wracking and sickening. It's only been two hours or so since she snapped my neck, but it feels like I've been centuries away from her.

I can't believe she did it to me to put herself in danger. I had done the same to her, but it was to make sure she wasn't in harm's way. There's a difference, and she needs to understand that there are consequences to her actions. She is behaving like a disobedient child, not like a queen of an entire species. Why the fuck would she go into their territory without protection?

My men have been watching the mutts' home from afar. They were ordered never to intervene unless they sense that Claire was in danger. So far, they haven't picked up on any activity.

My hands grip on the steering wheel as I draw closer towards the Northern Pack's territory.

"Sire, the queen has left the house," Raphael informs through our mind link. "What are your orders?"

"You can retreat. I'm arriving now."

"There is one more thing," he states.

Before I have the chance to tell him I didn't ask for further details, he quickly says, "She is crying."

That makes me want to laugh out loud. I shut him out after that.

Claire should be crying. She left me to go to our fucking enemy. What the fuck did she think would happen? That they would welcome her back with open arms? Foolish! She is half-vampire. We are their natural enemies.

Not even hours had passed since she declared her loyalty to the vampires, her loyalty to me, and she already broke my neck to go running to the fucking vet house!

The closer I get to the dog's house, the more my body aches for her soul. My inner demon is reaching—calling to her...

As I drive down the filthy dirt path towards the house and see her standing there with a fake smile plastered on her face, I almost lose it. After whatever the fuck they did to her, she is still protecting them. She is so proud. She wouldn't even cry to me, her beloved. That is something I'm not going to go for. She is my queen, and I will end this entire world if it means bringing her happiness. Still, she needs to learn that I am also her king.

* * *

Claire

My monster has retreated to the back of my mind, leaving me with my own thoughts. Mecca's hatred-filled eyes, the other werewolves' forced bows, and the fearful faces of humans flicker in and out of my head as I stand in front of the packhouse. I need some time alone, and thankfully, no one is outside at the moment.