|43|~BonFire~

Claire Pov.
Unedited.

My bulky leather boots crunch through the snow as we walk towards the bonfire. The ground, the trees, and the roof of the packhouse are drenched in snow. The stars are shining above us, bright and alive. The night sky is a dark, deep-blue color—like the deepest, darkest sea. There's a chill in the night air, but the flames from the bonfire roar to life, providing a little warmth.

Mecca's milk-chocolate skin seems to glisten as she stands in front of the burning light. Her amber eyes, filled with warmth, glow along with the flames. She is now wearing a sheer long black dress that clings to her body like a second skin. Her jet-black hair is still in the perfect updo. Some of her curls hang freely, blowing in unison with the wind. She looks wildly beautiful. Her natural habitat serves her right. Her happiness is my happiness.

I snuggle my face into the light-brown fur collar of my mink coat. The silky, beautifully sculptured fur provides extra warmth to my skin. I'm grateful.

I stop to stand beside Alec and his girlfriend, Samantha. We are currently waiting for the other humans and lycan royals to arrive before they start the festivities. I'm not too excited about it. The golden wolf b*tch is still on my hit list, and most humans besides Alec and Jadis always seem to hate me.

I sigh. Claire, this is a night of new beginnings, I tell myself. This is Mecca's night. Try to enjoy it.

Along the way, Mecca has told me that she ended her bond with Alpha Maddox twenty years after she was captured. That was over a century ago. She said that it was the hardest thing she had ever done. Mecca wanted him to be happy even though he wouldn't be happy without her. Alpha Maddox assumed she was dead once she released their bond. He must have been heartbroken.

I can't imagine living over 100 years thinking that my other half was killed. I feel bad for him—for them.

Alpha Maddox refused to search for a second-chance mate. He refused to move on. Mecca said he always told her that if the moon goddess called her home first, he would wait to go home to love again. They will reclaim that bond tonight by a mating ritual.

Alpha Maddox is a man of his word. Mecca is the luckiest she-wolf in this universe. I wish them nothing but an eternity of happiness. They deserve it. I refuse to spoil that. I'm just a little moody. That's all.

The big and tall bonfire is dancing wildly, growing taller by the second as the wind rushes around us. We are standing in front of the pack-house. Werewolves from the other several surrounding territories and the Western Pack have also joined us.

Alpha Maddox's brother, Beta Hunter, and their Alpha Luke are also present. I must say they are both freaking, smoking hot. I mean, scorching hot. They are burning brighter than the bonfire. The heat that I feel around them is unbearable. Gosh, these goddamn supernatural men. I can't take them.

Mecca also told me that Beta Hunter is the father of Farrah, the she-wolf I met earlier. It's hard to believe that the papa wolf is over the age of thirty.

Back to the objective, his pack is here not only to celebrate Mecca's return and union but also to locate his lost daughter named Embry. Both packs will become one until she's located. They have officially declared war on King Cyrus. It's sad that Mecca has to go to war as soon as she returns home. She should be at peace, not preparing for a battle.

I'm afraid for them all, Xander and Nicklaus included. I know for a fact that they will fight beside King Cyrus; that's why they came here in the first place. I'm pretty sure that the other kings will also come to fight for him. It's going to get ugly.

I try my best not to think about it. I watch the western alpha and his beta from a distance. Alpha Luke has the most usual eyes. He reminds me of a younger version of Xander: icy silver eyes, a God‑given face, and welcoming nature. Beta Hunter, on the other hand, looks extremely similar to his older brother: dark features, extremely handsome face, piercing blue eyes—just like his brother.. During our introduction, he gave me the cold shoulder.