|52|~Time To Talk ~

Unedited.
Nicklaus POV.
Count Cloven in Media.

We got back to my estate around noon. Claire kept bugging me about taking her to find Cyrus's beloved, talking about how much she loved her scent. This annoyed me to the very end. She shouldn't like anyone's scent but mine.

Of course, I told her no. And of course, she wouldn't have any of it. My manipulative little firecracker started complaining about me not allowing her to see her dog, Mecca. Then, she started giving me hell about her needing some girl time. So, I promised to take her to go see the dog tomorrow. However, I made up some bullsh*t about Cyrus and Embry being occupied so Claire would have to wait for a while. She seemed to believe me.

I don't know how my clever beloved figured out that Embry is Cyrus's beloved. But she did. She's just too goddamn smart for her own good. Luckily, that worked out in my favor—she caved in. I don't want her spending time with anyone. She doesn't really need to. She has Xander and me, and we are all the friends she needs.

I'm really going to take her to see the dog tomorrow, mostly because she will kill me if I don't.

After I ordered Commander Vlad to come to stand guard and ensure that Claire was comfortable, I commanded some servants to bring her lunch and a change of clothes. I also ordered one of the men to collect her belongings from Cyrus's penthouse. I had forgotten to bring them, and that's another thing she was pissed at.

She told me she couldn't just walk around in my clothing all day. And why not? She looks good in my clothes, even better with me. Period. But Claire disagreed.

She also ordered one of my men to bring her The Vampire Studies. She's such a bossy little queen. She was very adamant about learning everything there is to know concerning vampires.

I remember her saying this: "How can I lead a race if I don't know their true past?"

I've never been so proud. She's going to make a great queen.

I'm currently making my way to my study. I mind linked with Xander a while back, telling him that we all shall meet this afternoon, so they should be in soon.

Once I enter my studies, I start to prepare for the meeting. Usually, I don't postpone meetings, but under the intense circumstances, it was clear I needed time to calm down. I needed Claire. She is my peace and calm before and after every storm.

Now, I have to figure out how to protect my peace. I know my father has an agenda for summoning Claire, and the only logical explanation is that he is aware of what she is to me. It's the only reason why he would summon a human. What I don't understand is how? I have been extremely careful at hiding the fact that she is my beloved. Only a few know the truth, and they would all rather die than betray me. Loyalty is everything among vampires; that's why it's such a mystery.

What am I missing, or rather who am I missing? How did he figure it out? I guess we shall find out sooner than later. The biggest challenge is how I will protect her. They will demand her head.

Make no mistake. I shall fight for her life, even if that means giving my own in exchange for hers. Even that won't still be enough.

Now that we are officially bonded, my father and the council will hunt her down, even if I'm eliminated from the equation. Claire is a threat to the entire awakening. She can change things that have been our normal for over a century. That's exactly why we formed a law about mating with humans in the first place. A vampire will do anything to protect and keep their beloved happy. The Awakening would have never been successful if we continued to mate and bond with humans.