|50|~ Time To Taste~

The Full Mature Version of Chapter 50 can be found in The Awakening Series Private Chapters.

Nicklaus POV.
Unedited.

I arrive back at my safe house a little after sunrise. I take a moment to view the grand lodge surrounded by nature. It's a majestic estate that sits on ten heavy, snow-covered, wooded acres in the middle of a place that was once named Revelstoke, BC.

My safe house is just a short walk to Lake Revelstoke and is hidden in the center of the mountains. The ten-bedroom, (approximately 26,700 square feet) timber-framed stone home was my gift to Xander and his late beloved. This was their escape from the cruel and judgmental outside world. This place sparked a little hope amidst their doomed, predestined, star‑crossed love. It was truly tragic. I wonder if one day Xander shares his story with Claire. It would help her understand a lot of situations she has experienced.

I heave a deep sigh; it's not my place.

The moment I step into my home, relief floods through me. It has taken me much longer than expected to get back to my firecracker. I had to make a few stops to ensure the safety of her new pets. It would be dangerous to bring them back to the estate or leave them in an unguarded place, so I decided to leave them in a cabin a few miles back. Commander Ravana agreed to stay behind with a few of my men to protect and keep a watchful eye on them. Her witch heritage has proven to be handy with keeping the dog at bay.

I plan to take Claire there for a visit prior to our return to my kingdom. It's extremely important that we spend some quality time together before I jump back into my role as king of all vampire kings.

Count Cloven and Marcellus have already arrived. I smell them the very moment I walk through the door.

"Your Highness," greets Commander Vlad, bowing to show his respect.

"You may rise," I say curtly.

I'm not in the mood to play king. I just want to get to Claire. Her honey-laced scent lingers in the air. She must have passed through not too long ago. I thought I would have to carry her back into this estate. She's extremely stubborn. She would never have stepped another foot inside here without speaking to Xander, who must have grown the balls to apologize to her after our last communication.

"The King of Europe and Count Cloven have arrived. They requested to meet with you at once," announces Commander Vlad.

My body freezes beside him. Count Cloven wanting to get straight to the point is expected, but Marcellus doesn't take anything seriously. Usually, he would want to settle in and plunge his fangs into one of my servant's necks before the meeting.

Their scents hang strong in the air, which means they have just arrived around dawn. I'm also not in the mood to play politics or deal with anything other than my beloved. I just want to lie down with Claire. She's all I want. I'm officially whipped.

"They are in your study along with King Cyrus and King Xander, awaiting your arrival," Commander Vlad informs.

"The servants have prepared breakfast, and Claire has offered some of her blood. After overhearing some of the humans whisper about your whereabouts."

I smile at that. She has taken on her new role almost immediately. God, I seriously need to get a grip. Every one of my thoughts leads me back to her. I'm obsessed.

"I'll be in shortly," I state, heading up the stairs to locate that beloved of mine.

"They have been quite frank of how urgent it is to meet with you," he states.