|3|~Kings~

Claire POV.
Edited.

My worth has already been taken away from me before.

Jasmine is waiting on the other side of the door. I look into her eyes for any sign of remorse but was unable to locate a single ounce. She has completely lost her humanity; even Victoria doesn't approve of what the vampires do to us without our consent. Jasmine is just as monstrous as the vampires. In fact, she's a disgusting excuse for a human being. If I could have my way, I would split her throat with the razor blade.

My attacker's voice rings in and out my head, "Death would be too good for you."

He is right. Death is too good for me, and I plan on having that luxury sooner than he can possibly imagine.

I follow behind them in some sort of frenzy even though I have been through it before. It's just one of those things that you will never get used to. Never.

As we walk further down the hallway, one of the bulky vampires announces, "The kings are ready for her."

My heart starts to race faster, pounding louder with every step I take. No matter how brave I am and how prepared I am to die, just thinking, about entering the room with all seven of the kings is enough to scare the bravest of humans shitless.

We enter into another room I've never seen before.  I inhale sharply as Jasmine guides me to stand in the center of a stage. I take a look at my surroundings in surprise. Never in all my years of living here have I ever seen a room so well-crafted. Several velvet-red chairs set in groups, a stand full of different bottles with many different liquids in them at the far side of the room. Gold lighting hangs with shiny objects from the ceiling, and the entire room is filled with what I believe are called paintings from the time of the humans.

As the lighting dims, eight vampires come into view and several of them have human girls—with nothing on but a collar connected to a leash—sitting on their knees beside them. They appear calm and relaxed as they converse with each other.

I was expecting the seven vampire kings. Who is the eighth vampire without a pet?

They divert their attention to me, and their expressions transition from curiosity and then into something that I can't describe. The first thing I notice is that they all are extremely handsome and have the most-stunning eye colors.

Vampires are known to be beautiful, deadly creatures. I guess their kings are the leading examples of that expectation.

Sh*t. I hope they get this over with quickly.

Jasmine drops to her knees instantly. Call me crazy, but I can't stop rolling my eyes at her actions. She really is the perfect little slave. No wonder she's chosen.

"King Cyrus, King Luscious, King Marcellus, King Seneca, King Rufus, King Cornelius, King Xander, and King of All Kings Nicklaus, I present to you Claire, the first human of interest," she hesitantly announces.

My eyes open widely.

Did she just say King Nicklaus, like the King of All Vampire Kings Nicklaus?

I was under the impression that I was only going to be auctioned off to the seven kings. The king of all vampire kings never presents himself to humans. And from what I was told, that is a good thing. No human has ever lived to tell the tale of meeting the king of all kings. It's just unheard of. This is worse than I expected.

It's one thing to be marked as a breeder. I'll kill myself before that ever happens, but this . . . I know very well that King Nicklaus is known to make humans suffer. It's common knowledge that his various torture methods are far worse than all the kings' ideas put together.