|63|~Just My Luck ~

Unedited.
Claire POV.

I rush back into our chamber, careful not to draw too much attention to myself and still quick enough to make it there within three minutes. I manage to invade everyone except a few servants here and there.

My eyes travel to the window as soon as I step into our room, and the extraordinary scenery takes my breath away. I take a moment to enjoy the view of the beautiful sun, hovering over the snow-coated mountains in the early, misty winter morning. My eyes scan the land full of flawless, pure-white snow as I take a step closer towards the window. Just a few hours ago, bloody and lifeless bodies were scattered all around the place, resembling a mass murder scene. If I weren't here to witness the scene with my own eyes, I would have never believed it.

The snow around the estate is now untouched and unsoiled. It's refreshing. I'm going to miss this. Hopefully, we can visit this place often. I didn't know we are leaving until Nicklaus announced it during my failed attempt to have the three species make peace. I didn't want to question him in front of the others. I'm strong, but he is still a king—my king—and I refuse to allow anyone to use our bond as a weakness against him. If they are going to find peace, they will have to learn how to respect one another. They will have to forgive the wrongs they caused to the other species in the past and move forward. They have to let go, all of them, and I am going to lead by example.

So, off to see Mecca I go—well, hopefully. I don't know how to get back to the Northern Pack, and I am not even sure how I am going to get there because I can't drive. I'll figure all of that out once I make it out of the estate. It feels wrong to leave without at least trying to make peace. I still can't believe she Mecca to kill me. In this short period of time of knowing each other, we have been through so much. For Christ's sake, we were incarcerated together. That has to amount to something, right?

I start to fiddle with the powerful pendant around my neck. My mind drifts back to the moment when she gifted me this extraordinary present.

"I want to thank someone special and very dear to my heart. As most of you already know, I wouldn't have had the strength to make it back here if it wasn't for this brave little human."

No one has ever thanked me for anything. Xander, Mecca, and Jade are truly the only friends I've ever had. I don't think I can lose any of their friendships, ever.

With that thought, I rush into the bathroom and take a quick shower, although I prefer to take a long and well-needed bath. Unfortunately, I don't have the time for such luxuries.

After showering and getting myself together, I make my way back to Nicklaus's office. I need to confirm if he is still knocked out. That's the only way my plan is going to work without causing further conflict.

He is still out like a baby. Priceless, I think to myself as I walk into his office. I'm surprised no one has realized his current state.

I make my way to the window, preparing to jump out. There is no way I can just walk out of the front door. I hesitate for a second. The fall from this window to the floor looks longer than I expected. I mean, I know I am an ass-kicking half leech, but heights are never my thing.

F*ck, it's clear I didn't think this whole thing through. Like seriously, I don't do heights. I have only jumped out of a window once in my entire life and that was when I was chasing after Nicklaus. Oh well, no, twice. I almost forgot about the time that Mecca jumped out of a freaking skyscraper. She thought she was saving me.

I release a frustrated sigh. I really, really want to go talk to her, but this is fucking ridiculous. First things first, I don't know where I am going. Secondly, I don't know how to get there. Plus, I hate heights!