Ch144: Simon's Fireworks

Christmas at the Lightwood manor was something Simon felt sure he'd never get used to. He'd by no means grown up poor, - Simon liked to think of myself as thoroughly middle class - but a mansion with wings was something else entirely. As this was his second holiday in such luxury, Simon liked to think he was getting more accustomed to it. Even if such extravagance no longer intimidated him, Simon hoped never to be too comfortable with it. He didn't want to become so used to Izzy's lifestyle that he forgot about his own. His mother had done her best to raise both him and his sister on just her own salary. Simon was proud of how he was raised, but he wouldn't begrudge someone the circumstances of their life either. Izzy couldn't help the world in which she'd been born, and he couldn't help but love her.

The thought made him smile as he looked out onto the dance floor where his girlfriend was currently attempting to move to the music. He said 'attempting' since usually she was quite a bit more coordinated than this. Simon was at his girlfriend's New Year's party, and boy did these rich folk know how to party. There was a disco ball on the ceiling, and a live DJ up on a stage Simon hadn't remembered being in his room only yesterday. A buffet and bar were along one side of the wall, and the grand room was full of people. In fact, the sheer number of guests was slightly why Simon was sitting at the tables opposite like a wallflower. The results of which were Izzy's taking to the dance floor alone.

"Siiimon," Izzy giggling as she approached. Her cheeks were flushed from the effects of alcohol. Simon had had a glass of eggnog as well, but at this point Izzy was tipsy.

"Yes, my love?" Simon replied, smiling. She was rather adorable while slightly intoxicated, with those bright red cheeks and that grin on her face. Then again, she was always some combination of adorable, stunningly beautiful, and ridiculously sexy.

"Misses you," Izzy mumbled, nusseling in close, holding his arm and resting her head on his shoulder.

"That so?" Simon grinned. She nodded against his shoulder. "You haven't been gone long, you know?" It was true. He'd only just sat out from the dancing less than a quarter hour ago.

"Dancing no fun without my Simon," Izzy argued.

"Your wish is my command," he whispered. It was often impossible to refuse her anything, even if this place was too packed for his liking. Simon leaned down to kiss her sweetly. He'd intended it to be a short kiss before they left to rejoin the party, but Izzy had other ideas. She threw her arms around him, deepening the kiss as if forgetting that they were in a room filled to the brim with people.

Gently he coaxed her off him, while still holding her hand.

"There are people around," Simon reminded her, trying not to laugh. The impromptu public make out session had gotten him quite flustered, and embarrassed.

"People smeople," Izzy mumbled, but she did heed his warning all the same. He was just glad she wasn't drunk enough to try and seduce him here in front of everyone.

"Maybe we should sit down and get you some water," Simon suggested.

"I thought we were gonna dance?" Izzy whined.

"I think you need water," Simon said firmly. With a sigh she agreed, and he lead her to a table. Izzy sat down then closed her eyes and rested her head on his shoulder again. It was a simple gesture of trust, but it warmed his heart all the same.

They hadn't been sitting more than five minutes when Alec joined them, looking cranky.

"Girls suck," Alec stated, planting himself in the chair beside his sister.

"Well, then aren't you glad you don't like to date them," Simon chuckled. Alec gave him a look of such annoyance that Simon decided to change tactics.