Ch47: Jace's Homework

Jace's new favourite sight was his girlfriend wearing his clothes. Not only did Clary almost live in the jacket he'd given her before they'd started dating, but recently she'd also taken to wearing his shirts as well. Jace wasn't really sure why, but it always made him smile.

Since Malec had made up, Jace hadn't seen much of his roommate, and yes it was all Clary's fault Jace was calling them that. These days it felt more like he lived with Clary than with Alec. She slept over most nights and Jace loved waking up to those perfect green eyes.

At the moment though, Jace was no where near his beautiful girlfriend. Clary was in class which left Jace sitting in the common lounge trying to do homework. Between wrestling practice and wanting to spend every waking second with his girlfriend, Jace was beyond behind on homework. He and Clary had plans tonight, but Jace needed to get through the rest of the day and this essay, neither of which he wanted to do before he got to see her again.

"Jace," said an urgent familiar voice. Jace looked up and saw Simon standing in front of him.

"Oh hey," Jace replied, honestly, but pleasantly surprised to see Simon.

"Do you remember when you said you wanted to be friends?" Simon asked. Jace nodded. "Is that offer still on the table? Because something happened, and I am freaking out with no one to freak out to."

"Then by all means," Jace said gesturing to the chair beside him. "Do tell." Simon smiled and sat down, looking only mildly uncomfortable.

"Remember how the elevator broke down on Friday?" Simon started. Jace nodded, though he mostly remembered other students complaining about it. "Well I was in the elevator at the time, and I wasn't alone."

"Oh?" Jace inquired, curious.

"I don't know her name, but we made out," Simon said sheepishly. "Alot."

"Nice," Jace replied, holding his hand up for a high five.

"Okay yeah but-" Simon stopped. He'd been slightly uncomfortable since he'd sat down, but now he seemed oddly more so.

"I meant it when I said I want to be your friend Simon," Jace said softly, but he did let his hand fall. Simon it seemed was in no mood for high fives.

"But you're dating Clary now," Simon replied, obviously awkward.

"And that doesn't mean I can't make a new friend," Jace said. When he'd originally asked Simon to be friends, Jace had been thinking of Clary, but since then he'd realized he actually wanted to be Simon's friend. He didn't have the best track record with friendships, and he thought someone like Simon would be good for him. They were so different; they could probably learn a lot from each other.

"Is talking about Clary too weird?" Simon asked tentatively.

"No," Jace replied, determined to make Simon comfortable.

"Clary probably told you that we- that we never-" Simon started, and Jace decided to spare Simon from having to say it. Jace nodded to show he understood, and Simon moved on, his voice intense as he continued. "So I just got farther with a stranger in an elevator then I ever got with my girlfriend of over a year and I- well I have no clue what the fuck happened!"

"Wow," Jace laughed. "You swearing is something else."

"Sorry," Simon mumbled.

"No worries," Jace smiled then added, "So what do you know about this girl?"

"She's sexy as hell," Simon began. "Easily bored and-" Simon paused, tilting his head to the side before adding, "Possibly insane."

"Sounds like the makings of a good night," Jace laughed. "But what does she look like."

"Umm," Simon said. "I saw her for a moment when I walked in, then glimpsed her as she left, but I was kinda in shock the second time, and not paying attention the first time." He paused, then said, "Brown hair."