Ch204: Izzy's Exams

Izzy's mind was going around in circles. Rationally she knew she shouldn't be thinking about this. She didn't need to relive painful moments from her past. The night after she'd slept with Kris in particular was on repeat in her head. When she'd cried all alone in her room after seeing Kris make out with someone else. Then her mind would swing left and she'd been thinking about how it had felt after he'd died. The pain of her early womanhood did not need to be taking up space in her head right now. Why? Stupid brain needed to get a freaking grip! More than that it needed to get some sleep. Reaching over, she checked her phone again. It was now one o'clock in the morning. She had her exams tomorrow, not to mention her bridal shower. It was time to sleep but the harder she tried to reel in her thoughts the more they seemed to spiral out of control.

It wasn't like the pain of these things were fresh. Even if the memories of the pain told her how bad it had been, time and love had healed over her wounds so why was her brain rehashing them when it should be sleeping?

It was then that her chaotic mind noticed the calmest sound in the room. She recognized it as Simon's soft steady breathing. Rolling back over, Izzy put her arms around her fiance and felt her mind instantly calm at his touch. Her breathing slowed down as she snuggled into him. He smelled good, like home and her mind went instantly and mercifully blank.

"Hmm," Simon mumbled. "Iz?"

"Shh love," Izzy said gently. "Go back to sleep. I'm just gonna snuggle you."

"Kay," Simon mumbled but instead of remaining still he started to roll over and wrap his arms around her. Izzy wasn't even sure if he was actually awake as she turned to be the little spoon.

Sleep came almost effortlessly now as her empty mind allowed her body's need for rest to overpower it.

Izzy woke gently, feeling rested. She just had to get through the next few hours then it was nothing but wedding stuff for a week! She could do this!

Leaving Simon asleep beside her, Izzy got up and headed for a shower. Once clean she threw together a rather average outfit, Izzy collected her phone and made to leave. It was only then that she noticed the time. It was a quarter after five in the morning. How early had she woken up? Her exams weren't till ten.

She could go back to bed but she was feeling all together too awake for that so she decided to do some last minute studying. Getting out her books Izzy got back into bed and laid them in front of her. Using her phone as a flashlight so as not to wake Simon, she began with her first exam and then after thirty minutes switched to reviewing for her next one. She was trying to focus on the stuff she didn't feel so strong on rather than the subjects she felt more confident about.

"Just gotta make it through the exams," Izzy told herself in a whisper.

Her eyes lids were starting to feel heavy. Maybe just a short break. Izzy closed her eyes and laid back on the bed, her books still open in front of her.

When she woke, Izzy felt less than energetic. She was groggy like she wanted a lot more sleep. This was not how the morning was supposed to go.

"Good morning sleepy head." It was Simon's voice. He spoke with affection but Izzy sensed some teasing in his tone as well.

"Morning," Izzy mumbled. She turned and there was Simon standing near the door looking fondly at her.

"I was just about to wake you up," Simon said. "It's after nine."

"WHAT!" Izzy said, sitting bolt upright. "My first exam starts at ten."

"Yeah but I saw you'd already showered so I thought I'd let you sleep," Simon replied with a shrug.