Ch36: Tessa's Awe

Hemochromatosis was a word she'd come to know very well, having spent hours pouring over medical websites learning everything she could about it. So, when Jem fell to the ground, Tessa's mind raced with all the possible implications. Unable to stop herself from jumping to the worst possible conclusion, Tessa's first thought was heart failure. Will's first thought was far more useful.

"Jem!" Will yelled as he moved forward to catch his friend.

"I'm fine," Jem said trying to throw Will off, even though Will was the only reason he hadn't hit the ground hard.

"Fine people don't collapse," Will reminded him, supporting Jem with one hand, though Jem was still trying to make him stop.

"Just felt dizzy for a moment, but it's passed," Jem said, finally succeeding in making Will let him go. Will didn't go far, however.

"I will not believe that until someone in a white jacket and the word doctor in their name says it," Will replied.

"I'm not going to the hospital," Jem said firmly.

"Yes, you are!" Will argued back. This was the first time Tessa had seen any real indication of Jem's illness. Sure, sometimes his skin wasn't quite the right colour and some days he had less energy than others, but the rest of the time he was just Jem. And yes, she'd googled the hell out of his illness, but never before had she seen the importance of her efforts.

"You are going to see a doctor," Tessa whispered. Neither of the men heard her over the continued sounds of their argument. She repeated the phrase a second time more loudly, but her voice still didn't carry far enough. Finally, Tessa yelled the words with as much force as she could muster and both men turned to her, slightly stunned.

Will looked at her, a determination about his eyes. Tessa knew the same expression was on her own face. Jem looked back and forth between them both and somehow knew he'd already lost the argument. With a sigh, he agreed.

"But, we are driving," Jem added. "No stupid ambulance."

"Fine," Will replied. It took a moment for them to find and put on the clothes they'd scattered around the room. Once dressed, the three of them got into Will's truck. They didn't talk much on the way and a few minutes later they pulled into the hospital parking lot. Jem tried to go in alone, but was once again outnumbered.

"You don't need to come with me," Jem whined. "I won't just ditch and head home."

"Why don't you want us there?" Tessa asked. She was concerned at Jem's reluctance. Jem turned to her, but only for a second. Tessa couldn't quite read the expression on his face before his gaze shifted to Will.

"It's nothing to be ashamed of," Will told his friend.

"Of course not!" Tessa seconded Will's sentiment. "Jem we love you. You don't have to pret-"

"I know," Jem exclaimed, cutting her off. He spoke directly to Tessa as he said, "But that doesn't mean I want you to see me as a sick person any more than you already do. It's too late for Will. He's seen it all before, but I don't want you to see me that way." Guilt flooded Tessa as she realized how this evening had already changed the way she thought about Jem. She was not about to tell him that though. Closing the space between them, Tessa made him look her in the eyes before speaking.

"You are Jem," Tessa whispered to him. "You play the violin like an angel and show kindness to everyone you meet. You are not defined by an illness. Promise." Jem seemed to relax a little, but he still looked uncomfortable so Tessa added, "If it means you go see a doctor, I'll wait in the hall."

Jem smile nervously at her, but his only form of reply was walking toward the hospital's main entrance. Once inside, Will went to the front desk and returned with forms and a clipboard. Tessa sat patiently, listening to the sounds of the people around them while Jem filled out the paperwork. They returned the forms to the front desk receptionist and then were instructed to sit and wait. After a quarter of an hour Jem told them to head home but they refused. Tessa pulled up an ebook on her phone and said she'd read. When a half hour had passed, Jem was all for going home himself since he felt fine, but Will and Tessa wouldn't hear of it. They'd been there for over an hour before a nurse called Jem's name.