Ch49: Magnus's Counting

Magnus looked down at his phone and sighed. He couldn't say he was surprised. Jace wasn't exactly ugly. In fact, next to Alexander, he was the hottest guy around, but rather than text Magnus about it, Clary should really be telling Jace about her insecurities.

Unsure how to answer, Mangus put his phone down and tried to focus on his history textbook. Exams. His least favourite time of year and they were back again. Last exam season was a blur of misery and denial. Magnus hardly even remember what study methods he'd used.

At the moment, Magnus's brain so did not want to study. It turned out misery was a much better friend to his education than happiness. Magnus loved Alec. He really loved Alexander, and this was quite the revelation to him. Magnus smiled just thinking about it. With Alec, the love felt different though he couldn't explain - even to himself - in what way it was different. Magnus had known so many heartbreaks, that he sometimes wondered maybe the difference between Alec and the others, was only knowing love without the memory of heartbreak mixed in. He tried not to think like this though.

Right, he should be studying for his history exam. Magnus made a frustrated cry to no one as he was alone in his apartment at the moment, and laid his head down on his desk in exasperation. Couldn't these stupid things just be over already? Using more willpower than he cared to admit, Magnus lifted his head from the desk and checked the time. Alec had said he'd be an hour... about 56 minutes ago, but Magnus wasn't counting.

Since their first conversation about money, Alec had been very open with talking about his life, answering all Magnus nosy questions and finally, Magnus didn't feel so cut off. Understanding where Alec came from seemed to be the answer to their problems. Alec may have no idea what it's like to have either enough money to buy milk or go to the movies, but Magnus had no idea what it was like in Alec's world. Alexander Lightwood, heir to his father's business empire. It was a lot to wrap his head around. Though technically, heir was the wrong word. This wasn't the middle ages after all, though from the way Alec spoke, it seemed his father did expect Alec to come work for him one day.

Apart from his boyfriend and his studies, Magnus was a little worried about his roommate. Tessa seemed a little off lately, and Magnus wasn't sure why. When he'd asked, she simply replied that she was fine. When Magnus had texted Will to ask him if he knew what was going on with Tessa, Will had just confirmed that she was fine. Magnus wasn't convinced though, and decided to keep an eye on her. He would have texted Jem, but he didn't have Jem's number.

59 minutes... but again Magnus wasn't counting.

He heard a soft meow as The Great Catsby jumped into his lap. Magnus stroked the cat absently, wondering how long it would be until Chairmen Meow got jealous and came seeking attention.

It turned out, not very long as when Alec walked into the apartment four minutes later, Magnus had two cats 'helping' him study, one sleeping on his textbook while the over was rubbing his face.

"Entertaining I see?" Alec said smiling as he came to stand beside Magnus.

"Against my will," Magnus laughed as he picked up the cat currently in his face and placed him down on the ground so he could properly greet his boyfriend. Alec leaned down to kiss him sweetly before sitting in the chair beside Magnus and pulling his laptop out of his bag.

Magnus had just managed to actually absorb some history facts when his phone went off again. Automatically checking it, he groaned.

"What is it?" Alec asked.

"It's Clary," Magnus sighed. "Women are hitting on Jace in bars, and she's upset Simon isn't returning next year, and generally seemed to have no one else to ask for advice. I don't know what to tell her."