6th Epilogue: Jon's Soulmate

Six Years Later

Jon knew as the best man he was supposed to be paying attention to the ceremony, but it was rather hard to focus with his infant daughter strapped to his chest. These idiots had taken so long to finally get married, why couldn't they have waited until she could walk or at least until she didn't think it was funny to kick him in the ribs.

The officiant, Will, was talking but Jon wasn't really listening. Instead he was cooing to his little girl trying to get her to settle. Reaching into his pocket he found a binky and offered it to her. She took it and calmed down. Crisis averted. This wasn't his first rodeo. He was able to tune back into the ceremony just in time to hear the vows.

"Clary," Jace began. "You are quite simplifying the single best thing that ever happened to me. Without you my life I feel certain I would have remained an empty shell till my dying day. I owe you everything and today I vow to spend the rest of my life giving you everything in return. My better half, my soulmate, I vow to be your devoted husband for as long as I live."

"Jace," Clary said. "You owe me nothing. For it is in fact I who owe you everything. You showed me the true meaning of unconditional real love and I vow to spend the rest of my life giving you everything in return. My better half, my soulmate, I vow to be your devoted wife for as long as I live."

"Do you, Jace Christopher Herondale," Will began. "Take Clarrisa Adele Fairchild, to be your wife, to have and to hold, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death do you part."

"I do," Jace said.

"And do you Clarrisa Adele Fairchild, take Jace Christopher Herondale, to be your husband, to have and to hold, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death do you part."

"I do," Clary said.

"The rings please Felix," Will addressed the ring bearer. Felix looked so chuffed about being given such an important task for his father's wedding. The adorable five year old was grinning like a fool as he held up the little box.

"Thank you," Will told him, accepting the box. Felix giggled until his mother reminded him to come back and sit down.

"I did it mama!" Felix's voice could be heard.

"Yes you did," Annika replied, pulling her son into her arms. "Good job, but now we have to listen."

"With this ring I thee wed," Jace said as he slipped it onto Clary's finger. "As this ring has no end, neither shall my love for you."

"With this ring I thee wed," Clary repeated as he too put the other ring on Jace's finger. "As this ring has no end, neither shall my love for you."

"Now by the power vested in me by the province of Ontario and the internet," Will announced smiling. "I pronounce you husband and wife. You may seal your vows with a kiss."

Jon watched as one of his closest friends made out with his sister. Usually Jon preferred their displays of affection to be more private, but on their wedding day he'd make an exception. Jon joined in the crowd as they cheered. Clary and Jace were finally married. He heard a couple calls from the crowd that sounded like 'about damn time' and Jon couldn't agree more.

His gaze moved from the newlyweds to his own wife. As the maid of honour, Paige was standing across from him. The flower girl Lucie was standing with her empty flower basket beside Paige looking up at her dad with pride. Jon couldn't help but think about how one day the little baby currently strapped to his chest would be as big and strong as Lucie. It was so hard to imagine and yet he knew they grew up so fast. Too fast.