Ch35: Clary's Thrill

Clary wasn't sure where she was or how she'd gotten here, her entire world was currently consumed by Jace's kiss. Her blood was pounding in her veins like it never had before. Every fibre of her being wanted him.

The next thing Clary knew, she was pushing Jace up against the wall, wrapping one of her legs around his waist. The swooping feeling in her stomach was her sole guiding light as Clary threw herself into the kiss. His lips were warm and wonderful. Clary tried to deepen the kiss, and Jace gasped as her tongue slide over his lower lip. It wasn't until her hands moved to remove his shirt that he gently stopped her.

"Clary," Jace whispered against the skin of her neck. "We are in a hallway."

"What?" Clary said shaking her head. She took a step back to look at Jace. His hair was a mess, his shirt crumpled, but his eyes were alight and he was smiling.

"I do love the enthusiasm though," Jace grinned.

"I-" Clary said slightly stunned by her own reaction. Jace sobered and closing the small space between them, took her hand in his. Clary looked up at him dumbfounded.

"Clary," Jace spoke softly, looking at her with pleading eyes, his hand under her chin. "I don't want to assume anything so I must ask, do you want to be with me?"

Was he asking what she thought he was asking? Clary knew she'd just totally gone over board and everything, but sex already! She was suddenly so nervous she didn't know how to think straight; her mind was frozen in shock, but her body didn't seemed to be having that problem. Her heart was still pounding and she felt almost light headed from their kiss. It was like Jace was a magnet and now that she wasn't betraying Simon, Jace's pull was that much more difficult to resist. She wanted to kiss him again, but after what he'd said and how she was feeling, Clary knew that wasn't the right course of action.

"It's okay if you don't," Jace said sadly when she didn't reply. Clary's brain felt like an old glitchy record player, the same note repeating over and over again. She registered the change in his posture though. The light had gone out of his eyes.

"I just-" Clary started, but she didn't have an answer. Her brain felt blank and useless. She suddenly wanted nothing more than to sit on the floor, put her head between her legs and breathe until the world stopped spinning.

"I know it was just one kiss," Jace said. "But Clary I want to do that every day. Please say something." Clary was more confused now than she'd been before. How had they gone from sex to daily kissing?

"What exactly are you asking?" Clary managed to say.

"I don't know," Jace laughed nervously. "I've never done this before. Never had a girlfriend before."

And suddenly Clary realized what the fool was trying to say. A smile broke out over her face as she flung her arms around his neck and kissed him again. This time though, she made sure not to take it quite so far. Jace's strong hands were at her waist as her fingers interlaced behind his head.

"Hmmm," the contented sound came from deep in Jace's throat as they stood in the very public, though thankfully deserted, hallway, wrapped up in each other.

When they finally broke apart, Clary saw the dark-skinned woman she'd caught Jace kissing earlier, standing a few meters away from them down the hall in the direction of Jace's dorm. She had clearly followed Jace to see what was going on.

"Finally got the girl huh?" the dark-skinned woman said, smiling at them. Jace turned in Clary's arms to reply, but all he did was confirm her words. "I'll leave you two alone then." And the woman left. If Clary wasn't mistaken, she seemed genuinely happy that Jace was kissing Clary and not her.