Chapter 68: Family

Depuis le début

"Yeah, she raised all of our asses pretty much," Billy replied.

"She was that momma bear around the block, feeding us gang of pricks and making sure we had a place to crash when shit got rough at home," Jamie explained.

"She's good shit, Amber," Spink assured me.

"Okay..." I breathed, accepting defeat.

"Mind if I bring a friend?" Rafael asked, staring over at Billy, who nodded slowly, "Just my brother,"

"The more the merrier," Christy smiled.

"Well, then I'll see you all on saturday." Rafael smirked, getting up and motioning Billy to follow him over to the door.

Everyone was either busy helping Megan and I clean up or talking as they got ready to leave, making it hard for me to listen in on what Rafael was telling Billy. I frowned in annoyance and continued clearing the dirty dishes from the table.

Eventually the house was clean and everyone had left except Christy. Billy stayed inside with Chop and Shaun while Christy and I sat out on the steps, smoking cigarettes and talking as we waited for "Hank" to pick her up.

"I'm sorry about earlier, he was out of line," I said softly, exhaling smoke through my nose.

Christy flicked the ashes from her cigarette down onto the ground, "He's right though, I'm a mess."

"Are you back on drugs?" I asked directly getting to the point, looking down at my feet to avoid awkward eye contact.

Christy let out a deep sigh, "Just cocaine."

"How often?"

"Often enough,"

"You're not gonna quit are you?"

Christy shrugged, "I will. It's just a party thing I do,"

"Maybe it's time to quit partying so much?" I suggested before taking another drag off of my cigarette.

"Maybe," She mumbled.

"Things are sure different hey?" I chuckled in disbelief, trying to lighten up the conversation.

"Yeah," Christy laughed faintly, "Things can change at the blink of an eye,"

"I'm a mom... I'm getting married..." I whispered, trying to take in the surreal feeling.

"I wish I could be in your shoes, even with all the shit that you deal with," Christy laughed, her smile quickly fading from her face as she stared up at the night sky.

"What? A mom?" I asked cocking an eyebrow.

Christy nodded and her smile started to reappear, "Believe it or not, yes."

"You hate kids..." I reminded her.

"Cause most of them are little fuckers.... But that doesn't mean that someday I don't want kids," She corrected me.

"That's something I never thought I'd hear coming from your mouth," I snorted.

Christy rolled her eyes and slightly shoved me with her shoulder, "Don't be an asshole, If you can do it, I can do it."

"Oh, I know you can... but how are you gonna do that with Billy Bob Thornton over there pulling up?" I snickered, nodding towards the car that just pulled into my driveway.

"He does not!" Christy gasped, realizing that I was referring to Hank looking identical to the famous actor.

I giggled, "Yes he fuckin' does. Looks just like him, probably just as old too!"