Chapter 66: Bad Penny

Start from the beginning

"So who is he?"

"His name is Hank," Christy breathed.

"Greatttttttttt...he's some old trucker drunk from the bar! Great catch!" Megan sighed.

"When am I gonna get to meet Hank?" I asked, trying to be a supportive best friend.

"Whenever you want, tonight when he picks me up," Christy replied, scratching the back of her neck.

"He can come for dinner, Chris" I suggested, pursing my lips.

Christy clicked her jaw to the side and nodded slowly, "Nah... I.. uh, don't wanna set Billy off."

"Set Billy off?" I cocked a brow, "How?"

"Just cause of Joe... ya know? It's too soon still... Billy doesn't even know about Heco." Christy replied dully.

"True..." I sighed in defeat, knowing how frustrating Billy can be when the topic of his little brother is brought up.

"Besides, we got bigger issues to deal with..." Christy mumbled, and I sighed.

"Julia..." We both said at the same time.

"Is she really that bad?" Megan asked as she brushed by me to get Shaun a bottle.

"I can do that Meg-"

"Nah it's fine, you're busy,"

"Thanks... and no, she's not... she's just-"

"A stick in the mud who isn't about this life." Christy finished my sentence for me.

I turned my head to look over at Meg, "She's... outspoken..."

"That's one word for it..." Christy mumbled, putting the groceries away.

"She knows to play it cool," I assured her, "Especially around Billy. She's not dumb, she did her research,"

"Of course she did," Christy shook her head, "Wouldn't be like her not to go snooping the fuck around."

"She will keep her opinions to herself," I huffed, "At least until Billy isn't around."

"Well... that's a relief," Christy said dully.

"Yeah... except, I'm not sure how she's gonna react to what I have to tell everyone..." I winced, watching as both Megan and Christy slowly turned their attention onto me.

"Tell us what?" Megan asked, beating Christy to the punch.

"Billy wants to get hitched..." I admitted.

"We know..."

"No," I laughed nervously, "I mean... soon... as in... this weekend soon."

"What?!" They both exclaimed, "Why so soon?"

I shrugged, "Beats me."

"A part of me figures that it's because he can sense how I'm acting around him..."

"And he thinks this will keep you from running off?" Christy laughed in disbelief.

"No... yes? Maybe? I don't know!" I admitted in defeat.

"This is kinda exciting though!" Megan smiled, trying to be the positive one here.

I sighed dramatically, running my fingers through my hair, "Let's just... let's just get through dinner and then I'll tell Julia..."

"Tell Julia what?" Another voice questioned.

My eyes shot over towards the door where Julia had just came in from and was putting her car keys inside of her purse. Christy glanced over at me and closed her eyes, knowing that this was about to turn into a fucking shit show.