Chapter 65: Come Undone

Start from the beginning

"I'm trying Billy..." I winced staring straight up at him.

"I just hope you're right about all of this ending soon... 'cause... I don't wanna have to wake up to a phone call one day to come down and identify your body..." I whispered as I looked away from him, trying to hold back tears and keep my composure inside of a diner.

"If it doesn't?" He challenged.

"I will leave with Shaun." I promised rather than threatened.

Billy's eyes darted directly on me and before he had the chance to say anything, a middle aged woman appeared at our table with a fake, yet somehow cheerful smile plastered across her face. Her lipstick was bright and cheap and she looked drained, ready for her shift to end. I sympathized with her. I hated working at the diner that I had worked at when Billy and I first split.

"Bill together or separate?" The waitress asked, interrupting our awkward conversation.

"Together." Billy muttered as he reached into his pocket, pulling out his wallet and handing the waitress money.

"Thank you." I said shortly. Billy nodded, acknowledging my gratitude.

Once we were out of the diner and in his car, he drove slower than he usually drove. I stared at his knuckles turning white from gripping the steering wheel so tight. He was either right pissed or hurt... or worse, both.

"I was serious in there," I finally spoke, purposely testing the waters to see just how far I could push him.

Stupid? Stupid is my middle name... apparently.

Billy ignored me for a few minutes as he sucked back on a cigarette. It wasn't until he exhaled a cloud of smoke and tossed the cigarette out the window when he finally spoke.

"You go anywhere and I'm gonna fuckin' lose it," he told me, his voice low, and I swallowed hard. I believed him.

By the time we got home and I had a shower and got my hair dried, it was already almost 2 in the morning. Megan and Jack were sound asleep spread out across the two couches we had in the living room. I didn't want to wake them up, especially since they did me a solid by watching Shaun, so instead I just slipped a pillow under both of their heads and placed a thick, warm blanket over each of them.

"Gonna be tired tomorrow..." I yawned, plopping down beside Billy on our bed.

He was shirtless, wearing nothing but his jeans as he scanned through his phone. The claw marks that I had left all over his back were now clearly visible and I could just imagine the stinging feeling he's gonna feel when the hot water from the shower hits his back in the morning.

"Who ya texting?" I asked curiously, cocking an eyebrow when Billy was quick to lock his phone. "Who's that?"

"No one." He said plainly.

My stomach churned, assuming the worst, "Oh yeah?"

"Yeah," Billy breathed, raising his brows in annoyance.

"Okay..." I reluctantly let it go, pretending to climb under the covers, "Aha! Who's Rafael?!"

"Just business," Billy grunted.

"Business... yeah..."

"What?" Billy huffed, standing up to strip from his jeans.

"Nothing," I grumbled, pulling the blankets up and rolling over so that my back was facing him.

I was still pretty much on edge by how he responded to me finally telling him that I'll be leaving with our son if he doesn't change. What the fuck did I honestly think was going to happen? How did I honestly think Billy Darley of all people, was going to respond to THAT?

Needless to say, I pretended to fall asleep almost instantly. I must have laid there just staring at the wall for what seemed like an hour before Billy finally climbed out of bed and left the bedroom. Sighing in relief, I rolled over and slowly sat up in bed, biting my lip as I tried to pinpoint exactly where he was in the house.

When I failed to do so, I slid back down under the covers and finally doze off. What was suppose to be a full on slumber soon turned into a quick nap as the sound of hair clippers awoke me. Curiosity got the best of me, causing me to sit up in bed again and groan. I did not want to still be awake, and tomorrow was going to be a bitch trying to stay awake for my son and cook for everyone that was coming over.

But, I still managed to force myself out of bed and slowly made my way over to the door, quietly opening it before tip toeing down the hallway to the bathroom. The door was closed, but the light from inside of the bathroom was shining from under the door.

I took a deep breath before pushing the door open ever so slightly, revealing Billy. His back was facing me, and he was shirtless. I watched slowly as he ran the clippers/buzzers over the last strip of hair on his head. When there was no more hair on his head, he turned off the clippers and placed them down on the bathroom sink before running his hands over his freshly shaved head.

"Billy?" I whispered, causing him to glance over his shoulder at me.

Just like that, the gang leader was back, and I knew deep down that something was wrong...