Chapter 63: The Beach

Start from the beginning

"So dinner is at your place tomorrow?"

Yawning, I nodded for a response.

"You cook for and feed all of your friends AND Billy's employees?" Julia asked, pursing her lips.

"No, not everyone who works at the shop. Just our friends."

"Like who?"

"What an annoying, yet typical question to come from you?" I breathed, sitting up and crossing my legs, "Well, you're coming, Christy is coming, my friends Megan and Jack. Then there's Billy's best friend Bodie, and his friends Jamie and Spink. We'd invite the mechanics to join but... we're a little crazy and don't want our employees to dip because of it..."

"I would have dipped as soon as I found out who my boss was..." Julia mumbled.

"Then don't come, fuck." I hissed in defeat.

Julia sighed, "Fuck, okay, I'm sorry alright? I'll behave... and be... polite."

"That's all I'm asking..."

"That shit is not in my fuckin' nature and you know that... but I'll do it cause I love you." Julia added.

A smirk crept across my face, "Hey, maybe you'll try out this 'being nice' shit and end up liking it."

"Don't be so sure, bitch." Julia laughed.

"We're lucky he can't understand us..." I nodded at Shaun, "I just gave his dad shit for swearing in Shaun's presence this morning."

"You probably know what I want to say right now, but I won't." Julia replied, looking at the water.

I rolled my eyes and decided not to get her going by arguing or talking about the situation any further. So, instead, I just extended my legs out and let my toes curl in the sand.

"So what are you doing tonight?" I asked attempting to change the subject.

Julia, who was focusing on supporting Shaun who was sitting up in the sand, giggled as Shaun became wide eyed at the feeling of the sand on his bare feet. "Does that feel weird?!"

"Having fun, kiddo?" I asked Shaun, waiting for Julia to answer.

Julia chuckled, "He loves this!"

"—and not much, probably gonna go out for dinner with a work friend."

"A male work friend?" I pried.

"Maybe...." Julia chuckled. "Better than trying to convince Christy to hang tonight."

"Convince?" I questioned.

"You know damn well that bitch don't wanna 'put up with my shit'," Julia explained making quotations with her fingers, "So I'll just see her tomorrow at your place."

"Fair enough, she will probably show up drunk as fuck anyways..."

"And you can't drink, ha, mom"

I rolled my eyes, "I started smoking cigarettes again... when Shaun's asleep I sneak outside for a quick cigarette."

"Wow, you fuckin' rebel, you." Julia laughed at me.

"Meh, can't drink—won't drink— and it seems to relieve some sort of stress." I replied, putting Shaun's socks and shoes back on his tiny little feet.

"What about weed? Ain't no harm in smoking a joint here and there when Shaun ain't around," Julia suggested making me laugh, "hell, I do... hospital life is fuckin' stressful."

"I can't smoke dope, you know that. A few bowls out of the bong and I'm jumping dimensions and shit..." I snorted.

"Yeah, your ass becomes Doctor fuckin' Who when you're high." Julia giggled, nudging me in the arm.

We laughed and when we were finally done cackling amongst one another, we loaded Shaun and our belongings up and headed back to the crowded parking lot.

The drive back to Julia's was way less awkward than before, we talked and laughed like nothing was wrong.

"What are you doing tonight?" Julia asked as we approached her apartment building.

I shrugged, "Billy has something planned, I guess."

"Mmm..." Julia hummed, "fun..."

"Stop being salty and get out," I laughed.

Julia did just that, going around to the back seat and kissing Shaun on the forehead before crouching down to eye level from outside the SUV, "You always got me if shit goes south... ya know that right?"

I nodded, "Good. I'll see your ass tomorrow," Julia added before walking off, leaving me there to sigh in relief.

It's not that I was relieved that we were done hanging out for the day, but more so relieved that I was able to somewhat fill Julia in on what kinda life I have now. Maybe a part of me was also relieved that I do have someone out here that's going to be there for me if it ever came down to me leaving Billy. I hope that day never comes, and I hope Billy is right about this shit "ending".

I still don't know what he meant by that when he said it. How exactly does one end something that they've been forced into since they were young? This is the only life he's ever known, grown accustom to. I'd have to be a complete fucking idiot to actually believe that this shit is going to get better. Yet here I am, believing that it actually will and that Billy is serious about finally leaving this shit behind him.

For Shaun... for us.