Chapter 63: The Beach

Start from the beginning

"You're right..." I said softly, exhaling a shaky breath. "You're absolutely right."

"You're goddamn right, I'm right."

"Just... shit isn't the same anymore... you'll understand once you meet Billy and the boys—"

"I can't fucking wait to meet this 'Billy', he sounds like a real fucking prize." Julia laughed sarcastically. "I'm a nurse, stupid. I read up on his file. He definitely ain't no 'cop' like you told your dad and family—"

"Then you probably have an idea of why my life is a little bit more complex than what I can tell you." I jumped in, cutting her off.

There was an awkward silence between the two of us, which made shit even more awkward when we got stuck in bumper to bumper traffic. Normally, I'd light up a cigarette and distract myself by listening to whatever the radio was playing. It was a trick I taught myself whenever Billy and I use to get into heated arguments back when we first got together. Sadly, I can't smoke right now. Shaun's lungs are more important than me struggling to cope with the shitty situations that I get myself in.

"You know how I am..." Julia trailed off, pausing to stare at me.

I laughed faintly, "Yeah, I do."

"So then you won't be surprised to hear that I did some asking around?"

I shrugged, "I expected as much."

"He's dangerous...."

"I know."

"This life is dangerous! For you, for Shaun—"

"I know," I breathed, glancing over at her, "Believe me, I know."

"Then why don't you get out?"

"It's easier said than done.... especially when he told me today that this 'life' is going to come to an end soon."

"End as in... not do what he does anymore? Or.. end as in... one of you end up in a body bag?" She asked, shaking her head again.

"I'm going to give him a chance to prove that this is gonna end..."

"Mmm, a drug dealing gang—"

"I'm more than aware of who he is, Julia." I snapped, cutting her off.

Julia rolled her eyes and crossed her arms over her chest, "Y'all thought."

"Thought what? You're the biggest busy body I know. Of course you know everything."

Julia laughed, "Looks like your boo is more well known than you thought."

"Apparently."

The rest of the drive was silent. Shaun was finally awake but was content at least, cooing and making baby noises.

When we got to the beach, and after what seemed like forever trying to find an empty parking space, we were sitting on beach towels and enjoying ourselves. Julia was holding Shaun and talking to him while I was laying on my back, staring up at the blue sky.

"How are you not roasting?" Julia asked.

"I'm sweaty." I whined.

"Well no shit, you haven't changed into your bikini yet!"

"This is bullshit, it's not even summer yet and it's this hot out..." I continued to complain.

"I don't feel bad for your ass... who wears shorts and a hoodie to the god damn beach?"

I shrugged and sat up on my elbows, "Someone who makes poor life choices."

Julia caught the sarcasm in my response and shot me a glare before rolling her eyes and giving me a gentle kick in the leg. I smirked and laid back down, closing my eyes and fighting sleep that was desperately trying to win. I was exhausted, both mentally and physically. I felt like I could sleep for days.