Chapter 25: Happy Birthday

Start from the beginning

"FUCK!" I roared, dropping the lasanga plate down on top of the stove and ripping off the oven mitts, carelessly throwing them down on the counter.

Joe immediately ran over to where I was standing, "What happened, Amb?!"

"I burnt my fucking arm on the oven door." I responded through gritted teeth, nodding over at the oven.

"That's why you're suppose to open the door all the way..." Joe stated dully as he walked over to me casually, "Lemme see." He added, staring down at my arm.

"No! Joe! Don't touch it!" I exclaimed, yanking my arm away from his gaze.

Joe rolled his eyes, "Fine, whatever. Deal with the pain, I'm gonna have some of this lasagna."

I rolled my eyes and left the kitchen, leaving Joe in there to dish himself out while I made my way to the bathroom to deal with this now throbbing burn mark on my inner forearm. I bit my bottom lip as I turned on the taps, using my free hand to open the bathroom mirror to find medical supplies while I held my burnt arm under the cool water. Wincing loudly, I picked up a thin cloth and some burn ointment and turned off the taps before heading back out into the living room.

"This is good." Joe mumbled, a mouth full of food.

"Thanks..." I mumbled under my breathe, more focused on the burn.

"You have to tell him soon, Amber. You know that right?" Joe said, swallowing his food and raising an eyebrow up at me.

"Thanks Captain Obvious." I grumbled.

"It's been how many weeks now? Have you even went to a Doctor yet? That's my niece or nephew in there, I'm just as worried about this as you are." Joe stated, shaking his head at me before taking another bite of food.

I sat up straight and sighed in annoyance, "If that's true then you will understand why I'm holding off on telling him."

"If you don't tell him, I will." Joe threatened.

Scoffing, I stared up at Joe wide eyed, "Excuse me?"

"You heard me. It's his kid too, that's not fair to hide it from him." Joe replied, pressing his tongue against the inside of his cheek.

"If you tell him and I will legitimately kill you." I tried to sound scary as I threatened him. Joe chuckled, swallowing the food in his mouth. I sighed, "Please Joe... I promise, I'll tell him soon... I just need time to take this in, myself."

Joe sighed, "Fine... I won't say anything."

"You promise?" I pressed.

Joe rolled his eyes, "Yeah, I fuckin' promise. But he's gonna freak when he finds out that everyone knew before he did."

"Joe..."

"Fine, fine. I promise, I won't tell Billy anything." Joe promised, sincerity all across his face as he spoke.

"Thank you. I'll tell Billy when I'm ready." I replied.

"By yourself?" Joe asked, taken back.

"Yes, Joe. All by myself." I replied.

"Really..."

I sighed, "Yes! I'll tell Billy."

"Tell Billy what?" Billy asked, coming inside of the apartment and interrupting Joe and I.

Joe glanced over at me and gulped, staring back down at his plate of food leaving me alone to think of a good lie. I bit the inside of my cheek nervously as Joe slowly chewed his food and stared at Billy awkwardly. Billy placed his car keys, cell phone and wallet down on the table and glanced over at Joe and I, waiting for one of us to answer his question.