Chapter 5: Rides From Strangers

Start from the beginning

"I'm sorry to hear that..." I said softly.

Megan snorted, "Yeah? me too."

There was a long awkward silence between the two of us. I just continued to smoke my cigarette while Megan slowly pushed herself up and onto her feet before stumbling over to the couch and plopping down beside me.

"Amber right?" She asked as I nodded slowly. "I'm sorry about your ex.."

All the muscles in my body became tense as I straightened out my back and slowly looked back over at Megan. Her expression appeared to be sincere and sympathetic but yet I couldn't help but be embarrassed at the fact that I must have told her about my abusive ex boyfriend that I'm running from, Shane, while I was too intoxicated to function.

"Well..." I started slowly, "I'm sorry about yours?"

Megan chuckled, "Dude... we broke up because I don't know if I can trust him while he does all these shows. Like... what if he meets someone with big tits. I'm 118 pounds... my tits look like I'm 14."

I smirked, "Well... fuck him then?"

"Amen." Megan replied shortly.

"I just want to leave my past behind me and start new... who knows? maybe this will be a good thing - for the both of us. So cheer up." I tried my hardest to be convincing and sympathetic but judging by Megan's expression, she wasn't buying it.

"You hungry?" Megan asked shortly.

I shook my head no, my stomach could not possibly handle anything going inside of it right now. Not after throwing up so much. My stomach is still in pain from how much I threw up. Megan mouthed 'okay then' as she cocked an eyebrow at me, searching for something - anything - to talk about.

"What do you do for work?" She asked casually.

"The shittiest job out there..." I replied sarcastically making Megan stare at me with a smirk on her face. "I work at the Four Roses..." I added reluctantly.

Megan snorted from laughter before busting out into a giggle, "L-L-Lucky you."

I sighed before giggling myself, "Trust me... it was a last resort."

"Dude... that place is rough!" Megan exclaimed, "If you ever get tired of that... come work with me."

"And where's that?" I asked curiously.

"Domino's pizza. But before you laugh... trust me it's a hell of a lot better pay and cleaner than the fucking Four Roses." Megan replied firmly.

I nodded in agreement, "Trust me. I believe you."

"I don't know how Christy puts up with that disgusting place. Let alone how she puts up with dating who she does..." Megan trailed off. "Don't get me wrong, if Joe makes Christy happy... then all the power to her. But... there's more than what meets the eye."

"No kidding... gang shit?" I questioned.

Megan chuckled, "Exactly. Not only that though... I take it that it has been awhile since you've been around Christy?" Megan asked slowly.

"Yeah, quite awhile actually." I replied. "Why?"

"Speaking of which... where is Christy?"

"...The Four Roses." Megan replied dully.

I sighed deeply as I leaned forward and put out my cigarette in the ashtray that was sitting on the coffee table. Megan leaned forward towards the coffee table as well, grabbing a different pack of cigarettes before placing a cigarette in between her lips. Megan sighed as well before leaning back on the couch and began to casually smoke her cigarette.