32

Dominic and I walk to the dining room and sit at the table. I noticed my dad kept looking at Dominic.

"Dad this is Dominic my husband. Dominic my dad Jimmy."

"Nice to meet you sir."

"Yeah."

"Dad is there something wrong?"

He doesn't respond.

"Ok so now you're not talking to me?"

"Do you want me to talk to you?"

"Yes actually."

"Fine then. I don't approve of this."

"Jimmy!"

"No it's ok mom. You don't approve of this or it is you don't approve of Dominic?"

 You don't approve of this or it is you don't approve of Dominic?"

He puts his right elbow on the table. And I know why he did it.

"We don't see you for 5 years! We raised you too be Christian!"

"Yeah and didn't you notice none of that sunk in! I lived here until I was 17. Going to church every Sunday. And none of that sunk in! Religion is not my cup of tea."

"Yes we raised you Christian. Then you got obsessed with this guys rock band. Seeing that star of David all over your wall. Now he's sitting in front of me with that star on my table. And you're telling me he's your husband.

Even though the news already told me that weeks ago! You didn't even have the common courtesy to invite us! To have me give you away."

"Would you have come?"

"What?"

"If I would have invited you would you have even come? We didn't get married in a church. We eloped in Vegas! Did you know mom's ok with this?"

"Jill?"

"Yes I am. I'm done telling her what to do. She's an adult she proved that to us a long, long time ago Jimmy!

Our daughter has been taking care of herself since she was 17 years old Jimmy! Hell I even think before that!

This man sitting next to her is a fine young man. He's very polite and I can tell he treats our daughter with love and respect!

You know I'm not the only one who drove her away you helped."

I looked at my dad and he looked stunned. I've never heard my mom ever stand up to my dad that way.

"Excuse me."

My dad gets up from the table and goes outside.

"Dominic, Jimmy and I unfortunately weren't able to have a child of our own.

I had to have a hysterectomy at a very young age due to cancer. When we adopted October I had never seen Jimmy so happy. Our only child. His only daughter.

He took everything she did against us personally when she was just being herself.

He's never been able to actually let you go October. When he found out you got married without him being there he was heartbroken.

I honestly don't think it has anything to do with you personally Dominic or the fact you're Jewish."

I get up from the table and I go outside.

"Dad?"

"Yes October?"

"Can I sit with you?"

"Of course. I'm sorry I got so mad."

"Honestly I was excepting it but more from mom not you."

"Why is that?"

"You weren't as bad as mom growing up. But I didn't do anything when I was younger just to piss you guys off. Like mom said I was just being myself."

"I know you were. But even if we don't share the same views on religion. I still thought when you were going to get married you'd tell us. Even if you didn't get married in a church I still would have liked to walk you down the aisle."

"Are you really upset that he's Jewish or is that I have a new guy in my life that can take care of me?"

"Honestly?"

"Of course lying is a sin!"

He laughs.

"The second one."

"You know no matter what I still need you and mom in my life. You two would make awesome grandparents! And no I am not pregnant."

"You almost gave me a heart attack!"

"You know mom likes Dominic."

"Yeah cause he's good looking."

I laugh.

"So do you think we can go in and finish dinner?"

"Yes dear."

We both stand up and he hugs me. We go back inside.

"Dominic?"

Dominic stands up.

"Yes sir?"

"No sirs Jimmy is fine."

"Ok Jimmy."

"I'm actually ok with you marrying my daughter. As long as you treat her right."

"And you have no issues with me being Jewish?"

"I never was. I was just using it as an excuse."

"I promise you I love your daughter and I'd never do anything to hurt her."

"I believe you."

"Ok if you boys are finished making nice let's finish dinner."

After dinner we all went into the living room and started to watch TV.

"How are you liking the weather so far here Dominic?"

"It isn't as cold as I thought it'd be."

"Well it is only September."

I laugh.

My mom started flipping channels when something caught my eye.

"Mom wait go back a couple channels."

There was a picture of Dominic on the screen with his ex talking.

"Turn it up!"

"I honestly feel bad for that poor girl he married. She actually thinks he loves her. He's been texting me for months! Like I just got this text earlier today. "Can't wait to see you. I miss you so much XOXO Dominic" I hate that I've had to come on TV to discuss this but I just thought she had a right to know. I actually feel so awful about this situation."

The three of us all look at Dominic.