46

I'm standing there with my hand raised but that's as far at it's gone.
Dominic knocks on the door for me.

Few seconds later the door opened. There she was standing in front of me.

"Oh good you're here! Come in."

We walk inside and she puts her arms out to hug me.

"Um I'm not there yet."

"Oh. That's ok. Dinner will be ready in about fifteen minutes."

I just shake my head.

"This is my husband Dominic."

"I've been seeing the pictures of you two together everywhere. Finally nice to meet you."

"Um yeah you too."

Dominic and I sat on the couch while Carol went back into the kitchen. I noticed family pictures on the wall.

"That must be the son they left me for."

I point to one of the pictures.

"Ok dinner is ready."

Dominic and I stand up and go into the dining room. We take our seats.

"I would ask you questions about how you two met. But I've read a lot of internet stuff."

"Yeah unfortunately we don't have the most private lives. The news told everyone we were married before we could."

"But the perks that come with it must be nice."

"Yeah it can be."

"Oh I saw your performance. You were amazing."

"Oh thank you. October gave an idea for the video were gonna do for the song."

"Oh that's wonderful. I saw you're there manager now."

"Yeah. The only thing I've done so far is the music video idea. But I've got some more ideas."

"And she won't tell me."

I laugh.

I look up and Carol is just staring at me.

"What?"

"I'm sorry. It's just I can't believe you're actually here. You grew up to be such a beautiful young woman. I've missed you so much."

"Um thanks. But then why did you leave me?"

I hear her sigh deeply.

"I didn't want to bring this up just yet but it was your father's idea. He always wanted a boy. He never wanted you.

So we went to the orphanage and did what we did. I never wanted to leave you but I was scared of your father. He was actually a very violent man."

Her voice starts to crack.

"Where is he now?"

"He died a couple years ago. Since he passed I've been trying to find you but I was never able to. Then when I saw you on TV it became a lot easier."

"Well that's a lot to take in."

"October after what we did I honestly don't except you to be happy with us. Hell I actually didn't think you'd respond but I had to try."

"Well I talked about this with my mom and dad before making any decisions."

"How are your adopted parents?"

"They were fine. I bit too religious for my liking but they're good people.

We got into a fight about my marriage but it was more of a personal thing with my dad not over Dominic. Which we all originally thought it was. But we're all fine now."

"I did see that video with your mom in Colorado."

"Um do you think I can visit my dad's grave tomorrow?"

"Oh we actually got him cremated. Unfortunately we already spread his ashes a few weeks ago."

"Oh that's ok."

"Are you kids done with your plates."

"Yeah. You're a good cook Carol."

"Oh thank you Dominic. Are you two planning on having kids?"

She sounds like my mom and dad are with that question.

"Not yet. Maybe in a couple years."

"Oh ok. Don't rush things. That was mine and your father's problem."

"So where's my "brother" at?"

"Oh he's actually out of town. He's having issues with an ex-girlfriend about child custody. She's been doing drugs and drinking her whole pregnancy."

"Oh my goodness that's horrible. But maybe next time."

"Next time?"

"Yeah. I'd actually like to meet the son that was better then me."

Dominic squeezed my leg.

"It's getting kinda late. I think it's time for Dominic and I to go back to hotel."

"Oh ok. Do you kids wanna come by for breakfast?"

"Um sure I guess."

"Ok then how's nine?"

"Sounds good."

Dominic and I walk to the the door to leave.

A little while later we get back to the hotel. I didn't say a word in the car. When we got to the room I changed my clothes and got into bed. Pulling the blanket over my head.

I feel the blankets lifting up by my feet. Dominic crawled under the blanket up to me.

"What's wrong?"

"I want to be pissed off so bad. But she's actually very sweet. And it wasn't what she wanted."

"It's ok to like her October. It's not like you're betraying your mom and dad for liking your birth mother."

"How do you know me so well?"

"Because I love you and pay attention to you."

He gets back out of bed to undress.

I put my arms above my head and sit up and just enjoy the show.