63

I opened my eyes. Fire strongly burned. I was alone and wanted to see Edmund, but he was nowhere near me. Was the last night just my imagination?

I looked under the blanket, my body was still bare. I could go and check out the rest of the house, but my dress has been burned. Trapped inside this room I could do nothing, but wait.

Wrapping thin blanket around me, I decided to stretch my legs. Luckily room was warm enough to be able to stay naked. It was early morning. The sun didn't shine so brightly as in midday. I walked up to the small framed window and looked outside. Everything seemed grey and lifeless, just few people walked the streets. I haven't been too much outside of Edmund's mansion and never in his own place in other towns. This was something new to me. I know, he has many more properties. This one seemed the most smallest one and certainly the most insignificant.

Door behind creaked open, I pulled the blanket tighter around me, when I saw Edmund standing in a door frame, his jacket, shirt and pants neatly styled to perfection, his hair combed up in his usual manner. He looked like a true noble man.

Edmund stood in place and watched me, making me feel extremely conscious. I noticed his eyes go down and then I saw my naked legs. Blanket didn't cover my body as much as I wanted. Without realizing, I froze in his presence.

A corner of Edmund's lip came up.

"Thea... I... braught something to cover you up."

He put a bag on the edge of the bed, never leaving his eyes from me, pulled out a dark blue fabric, laid it on the bed and I could see, it was a dress.

"It is for you. Put it on."

I glanced up at him. Edmund did the same and then he quietly left me.

A dress was beautiful, like every other he has given me, but always it was in the same color – dark blue. When I put it on, it felt perfect and comfortable.

I examined the texture and fancy folds of laces. On my chest some of them had a tiny line of gold sewed in to a fabric, barely visible. I couldn't take my eyes off it. My hands swept through the folds over and over.

"Do you like it?" Edmund said quietly.

My inner self jumped of his sudden appearance. I looked over myself again.

"Hmm." I agreed. "Why is it always in this color?"

"Why? Because you look much tougher than you are – like a queen, it also accents your eye color...."

"No way... I can never be like a queen. I have no strength to match a person to be fit for such role."

Edmund let out a small laugh. His pale eyes gleamed in small light, that a window let in. He looked much better, than I have ever seen him. His face was relaxed, with no creased brows or tense facial details. I could see him smile now - a genuine and sweet smile.

I was happy to see this change in him. I hoped he have found something in his life, that can make him stay this way for longer.

My stomach growled in hunger. It had got nothing in couple of days. Edmund glanced at me questionably and then waved with his hand to follow him. We reached a kitchen downstairs. There was a small round table with a shallow basket filled with bred, a tea pot next to it and two cups.

"You must be hungry." Edmund observed me, took hold of my hand and lead me to a chair.

His hand was big and warm. His touch sent a new wave of butterflies through my heart and stomach. I felt myself tremble little bit, but hoped that Edmund didn't notice my timidness. Even though he told me, that he loves me ad cares about me, I still find it difficult to feel comfortable at the physical contact with him.

He squeezed my hand tighter and smiled. I could feel myself blush. I wanted to hide from his gaze, but couldn't get away.

He poured me hot tea and gave me a bread. It was still warm and smelled so nice, my mouth watered. I took a bite.

"Sorry, it is nothing much, but it will satisfy your hunger until we get home.

My heart couldn't stop beating. Edmund have never acted like this and never treated me this way. I felt like a true lady.

"Wh..why are you doing this? You will get in trouble, if somebody sees us."

He looked down at a piece of bread in his hands, deep in thought, but I could see his attempts to hide a smile, while he hesitated.

"What is wrong with treating you, the way you have always deserved and the way I always wanted? I am so ashamed of myself, that I followed these rules of society and denied my closest to feel happiness. And for the trouble..... I don't care anymore, what others might think. I will do, what I want and no one can tell me otherwise. Don't you like how I treat you now?"

I blushed even harder and found difficult to look at Edmund.

"I...I don't know what to think... It feels like a different world to me."

"I want to make that world better for you, I want you to feel comfortable." When I lifted my eyes, I saw, that he looked at me intently, it almost seemed like a look of a promise.

I bit quickly in to a bread to get my nervous thoughts somewhere else, not on Edmund, who constantly made me feel kind of awkward. I heard his small laugh again. 

The long moment of silence kept us busy with our inner thoughts. Edmund still hold his feelings inside of him, but I was so happy for that little progress we have made towards each other. I could feel now, that I truly meant something to him. 

I always wondered, what he was talking about with Maria or other high status people. Maybe I seem too boring, as the long silent moments between us are so frequent.

I watched him thinking of what to talk about, but my mind stayed blank.

"Are you bored with me?"

Edmund looked at me strangely, like I have said the silliest thing ever.

"No. Not at all. You don't need to talk to make me entertained. I like the silence much better and your presence is enough to satisfy me. You are interesting in your own way...."

Oh my god! I felt like Edmund wanted to kill me with these constant compliments and nice attitude. By every nice word he said, my heart was picking up it's speed. 

I felt like it will stop.