23

Edmund looked quite tired, his hair were little bit messy, as well as his jacked opened half way. My Master leaned against a soft cushion behind his back and closed his eyes. I could not hide a smile, which was present since he returned.

Edmund opened one eye just slightly to glance at me: "What are you so happy about?" . His voice grogily left his almost unmoving lips.

"Uhmmm... who is it going to be? How she looks like? Pretty?"

"Ah? You about that? Why should you care?" He straightened himself up.

"Because she will be my Lady too, just like you."

Edmund moved forward and looked deep in my eyes. There was only small amount of space left between, he looked kind of threatening this close.

"I think you have forgotten something, Thea. There will be no other person in control of your life. You are MY slave, understand? Also I kind of don't care, what happened tonight." He went back to his seat and Edmund's appearance turned down, like it was before – calm and tired.

"I am sorry. I just thought....it would be....understandable if a lady of the house would be in charge of me too... after your marriage...."

Edmund peaked at me again through those thick eyelashes:" Do you want me to marry this young? I am only 12. There is still plenty of time for such things. Also, have you seen my mother bothering about you at all? SHE IS a Lady of our house...."

"No...... But.... don't you want to....?"

"It is like every other matter related to business- annoying." he sighed.

"Marriage is not business. It is a union of two people, who love each other."

"Hmmm." Edmund flashed a slanted smile:" Thea, are you still living in a fairyland? There is no such thing in a world of mine."

It kind of left me upset little bit. The way my Master thinks of such sacred feelings and rituals. There is love in this world, even if it is so tiny and almost unnoticeable. I have made sure of it myself. All people met before were cold and cruel, but here I have learned, that not all of our kind posses a heart of cold ice. James, Fiona, Harry and even Edmund. They have shown me, that kind people exist. 

I decide to not poke him more with my questions. A day outside have turned in to a black night. Owls an other nightly creatures make themselves noticeable. The constant thudding of horse feet and wheels spinning, does not muffle the sounds of nature at all. 

I feel tired too. I look up at the gift box next to Edmund, placed neatly on a cushioned seat. He have not touched it and I can imagine, that candy inside of it are just asking to be devoured. For some unknown reason I feel strange, my stomach twists in pain time to time. I did not eat much tonight and I can't  find a reason why is it hurting. Pain is not strong, but still very noticeable, making me snap out of my light mood at times.

***

Every bump on a road sends jolting pain through me. The pain starts to be unbearable. I almost can't  keep my eyes opened, never talking about walking, which I will be doing in mere minutes. We have entered Wiltshire property. I can tell it of the sound of fine gravel under the wheels of a carriage. 

"Are you alright,Thea?" Edmund's voice feels very distant and blurry.

"I am." I manage to speak, though the pain almost makes harder for words to be said. My head feels like it have been stuffed with rock hard cotton and legs have lost any strength, they feel almost numb.

In blurred light I see  my Master opening door and I try to follow, only as far as I go is just one step. I fall on gravel only a feet away from Edmund's form. I do not hear sounds and vision goes black as quick. I don't know what is happening to me. All I want is for pain to go away.

***

"Please, please! You can't do this to us! Show some mercy, my Lord! Please, try to understand our situation. We didn't do this by free will." I hear cries of a woman. 

Next to me or maybe further away, I can't  tell. I feel extreme pain in her pleading words. Who is she? Why is she so loud? Seems like every sound is trying so hard to stab my ears - so annoying. I want silence....

"...nobody was hurt, right? We will take any other punishment. My husband does not deserve to be sent to gallows." the sobbing continued.

With difficulty I pried my eyes opened. Picture was blurry. I could only distinguish some odd carvings on the walls and parts were golden rims accented the edges. It seemed familiar... .

"Wonderful! You are awake."

Somebody was beside me. A man? He was bald and I could tell he wore glasses - round ones with a thin silver chain attached to them.

Then the next moment he was gone. Did I imagine somebody? Was he real? The feeling was very strange - like I was still in dream world and in reality at the same time.

"Could you leave us alone for a minute?" a voice on other side of the room felt too recognizable. It was Edmund. He sounded very cold and unemotional.

"Edmund?" I whispered.

"You are awake. Finally..."

"Hmm...?"

"You have been gone for whole week."

"Week? Where have I been gone?" my voice sounded very weak.

"You were sleeping." the anger was building up in his words. "Whole seven days you were doing nothing, but being lazy.... a lazy...."

"I am sorry, Edmund! I did not want to...." I burst out in tears. 

What have I done? I have made him very angry. Why was I asleep? What happened?

"You ate candy, right? That f*** garbage, which was meant for me...?"

"I...I am....sorry....Edmund....." 'sob'. "I did not mean, I didn't  want.... it just...."

"WHAT? Did it jump in your mouth by itself?"

I couldn't  talk anymore and could not see a single thing. My hands were full with hot tears. I felt so guilty and ashamed.

"You could have died. The whole box was poisoned..."

....
"You left me alone for days, Thea! How could you do this to me?" 

I felt his fist clench around a sheet covering my form.

"No laundering, my closet is a total mess and I can't even breath in my own room, of how dusty and filthy it is ... no food delivered....and....and....."