12

It was such a waste of food. If it wasn't meant for me, then they could at least give it to someone else. Fiona's face was painted in slight shock. 

"But Mrs. Ad..." Fiona shut her mouth tight after seeing Housemaid's hard stare. Then under her breath, she mumbled, but loud enough for everybody to hear. "Master might not be happy about this."

"Fiona! Watch who you are talking to. I am still in charge of you." lady in black said in an arrogant voice.

The young maid brought another bowl filled with plain-looking gruel, devoid of any particular color. It was still better than staying with no food at all. But... I could imagine it won't taste like the food Edmund gave me yesterday. 

"Eat. And hurry up with food for the young Lord. AND don't spoil anything on the way." Adele said, looked over all the servants in the kitchen and turned on her heel to leave.

Fiona looked at me apologetically. 

I quickly ate the contents in my bowl, thanked and proceeded to take the food to Edmund. I hoped he will not be angry. I didn't know how much time had passed, but I had a guess it had taken longer than it supposed to.

Trolley run smoothly on the stone path. I reached the house and then stairs, which lead to Edmund's room. There was more than one dish for him. I could not carry all of it in one go upstairs. A jug of juice was here too. With care I took one plate and carried it upstairs, all the time making sure I didn't trip. The plate was huge and I could not see where I placed my feet. I followed my senses. 

After reaching the upper floor I put a plate on one of the tables beside a window. I scurried back downstairs to get hold of another plate. It took me few trips up and down until all that's left was only glass and jug. It was heavy. With one arm I hold a glass and with another the juice, but I could feel my strength on heavy dish loosen. I saw a few more steps ahead of me and held it tightly in my hand. Upon placing the meal on a table, I nearly dropped the glass on the floor, seeing Edmund out of the room and checking out the food. 

"What took you so long?" he said carefree while examining his meal.

Edmund was munching some contents. He had to come out to get his food and all of it is because of me. If I wouldn't be so late...

I wished so much he did not become upset. Bitter feeling seeped into my throat and I was ready to cry.

He gave me a side glance: "Get this in to my room, Thea."

My arm was hurting badly and it started to go numb with a jug still in my tired fingers. I run fast up to the table, put it down and tried to reach for one of the plates, but Edmund was first who got hold of it. He took it himself and gracefully walked into his room.

My dumb folded mind was frozen, I could not understand why he helped me or why he did things himself, while there was someone around to do anything?

Shaking my head slightly to free my mind of thoughts, I got back to the task given me. Like before, carefully I took plates and in slow steps entered Edmund's room. It smelled of fresh air and a light breeze hit my face. Window on far side was wide open and dark curtains swayed gently.

In an instant, Edmund was in front of me, put his hands on both sides of a plate I was holding. His face was indifferent and devoid of any particular emotion.

" You carried all this up? ... Why didn't you use an elevator meant for delivering meals?"

"An elevator?"

"Yes. Just outside next to the stairs."

We stood motionless in silence. My hands and his too clasped on a plate between us.

"Well, what's done is done. Just remeber for the next time."

I nodded. His hold on the plate was tight and I gave up, seeing him taking and carrying the meal himself.

"Did you eat something yourself?" my master said while slowly chewing on bits of meat and looking directly at his meal.

"Uhmm.... yes... Master..." my response was awkward. This was the first time I addressed him properly.

A muscle in his jaw twitched a little bit at my last word. He made few more chews and then said not even looking at me: "Edmund. Call me Edmund, Thea."

Did I hear him right? Did he want me to call him by his name?

"Is... is it right for me to say it....?" I felt so nervous like never before.

"Thea! Don't question me!" he said harshly.

"Y..yes, ma....Ed..mund..." his name came out of me like a whisper.

"Well, what did you eat?"

"...some kind of gruel."

I heard a loud clang and saw his fork have fallen on to his plate.

"So it means – nothing." he picked it back up. "Who gave it to you?" now his eyes were on me.

"Fiona, but..."

"But, what?"

I did not want to tell, but neither I wanted Fiona to get in trouble, for what she had no control over.

"...housemaid ordered her..."

"Adele?"