20

Constant thudding from hooves of horses rang in my ears, as we got closer to town. I remember this road, when I first time was taken here. It feels like a distant memory now. My heart is hammering in me just slightly stronger than usually. It is like my first time in town, but at the same time not. Will it look and feel the same way as before? This place of sadness, loneliness and fright? I hope not. 

So many things have changed in my life in just couple of months. All thanks to Edmund - my Master. 

This time we are alone in a carriage. His eyes are set on scenery outside and his well dressed arm is supporting his chin, like the heaviness of all world lies on his shoulders. I want to ask, what he feels, what's on his mind, but I am afraid to bother him. He might push me away the same way he did to his father.

I see the smokes of tall chimneys indicating the close proximity of town. The day is sunny and one could not wish for better.

"This event is very important, Thea. Many nobles will be attending it. I want you to stick by my side, in case I need something. Other than that.... you are free to do anything you want.... Just don't embarrass yourself." It seemed he is thinking loudly, but I knew it was meant for me. 

The familiar chatting and sound of traffic surrounded us not too long after. I stared at the blank spot in front of me, too afraid to take a glimpse of outside world. I could see the scene in my mind of market and people selling goods. Such a dreadful and ugly feeling. 

"Thea! Thea?.... " Edmund's voice echoed in my ears like a distant whisper.

"I am sorry...." I set my eyes on him and then I saw the town through the window on my Master's side.

Buildings with brown or grey looking bricks passed by. In some places a polished stone structure stood out, indicating the higher wealth property. I had not seen this side of town before. It was none  existent in my small world of a slave. I never paid much attention to it too. As if I couldn't stop the urge, my body instinctively leaned towards a window. I just wanted to see the beauty of the buildings, people, horses and everything else I have missed before. A feather light breeze grazed on my cheeks, as the carriage moved forward in even speed. This place smelled different too. It had a scent of smoke, some unknown smells - perfumes, flowers, freshly baked bread, which made my insides squirm in delight. Ladies in extravagant dresses and gentlemen wearing the finest outfits filled the streets. They all looked happy and I wished to be a part of it, feel the same way and enjoy this carefree life they had.

"We are here." Edmund leaned closer to me and tidied up some parts of my blouse. I felt little bit taken aback by his strange move. Probably I looked not too good to step outside yet.

We stared at each other in silence until he finally spoke: "Stay close. I don't want you to get lost in the crowd. ... It would be a pain to waste my time and look for you."

"I will, Edmund."

"Good."

An unknown man opened a door and my owner graceful stepped out. He was greeted with a crowd of people different ages, but all of them looked of the most highest class citizens.

 Compared to them, it was clear who I was in this situation.  My outfit suggested, I am his servant or that sort of thing.

I didn't see his face, but I could tell there was nothing shown in it - no particular emotion, just that arrogant, blank facade of his. The look of a person, who is on top of the world and power - something I still have to get used to. I don't see him as a future king or an almighty ruler. He is just Edmund, my Master, a person, who is in control of my world and existence.

People smile at him and some even bow down, showing the most respects. Edmund is in center of everybody's attention. 

We enter a huge hall, full with nobles. Some are spending time near drinks or food, chatting about their high class matters. I see some children too, my age, older. They look like little dolls, girls with fancy dresses in variety of soft colors. Lack of young boys seem to be the problem here. I see none of them. Maybe these people has no boys..... ? 

"Thea? Bring me something to drink. I am very thirsty." Edmund said in soft voice, the same he is using with others right now. But nonetheless it hold a certain power in it, a superiority.

I nodded and left him behind. I headed straight to a table with drinks and small bits of bite size snacks. Some servants were handing out the appetizers, but Edmund wanted it to be delivered specifically by me. 

Lemonades, wine and some unknown beverages stood in front if my eyes in many colors. What does Edmund like? Which one he wants? A juice? Lemonade? Wine? .... Not wine.... He is too young..... But.... there is nothing in his way to deny it from him.....

Sweet drinks in color of rainbow hold my gaze and I decided to take one for my Master - a dark red and clear lemonade of mysterious ingredients. It smelled sweet, but I have never faced this aroma before. He will like it.... I hope.

"Who are you?" blond swirls of hair caught my eye next to me. "You are not one of 'home' servants...." A small girl around my age eyed me up and down. 

"Uhmmm...no. I am with Ed.... Lord Wiltshire."

"Hmmm. He has such a young servant. I think you are unqualified to meet his standards. I mean... too inexperienced." she sang in her delicate voice.

She had very bright blue eyes, blond hair and rosy, plump cheeks. This noble girl looked like a miniature princess. 

"Ahhh. He is such a busy man. Probably he had no time to evaluate your skills...."

A man? Edmund? He is just a boy... Not much older than me or she. I could not call him a man, even, if he acted like one all the time.

"When I will be by his side, everything will change." she had taken a glass of juice and sipped from it while sort of daydreaming and keeping an eye on me at the same time.

"By his side?" I was totally confused.

"Don't you know what this event is about?"

"No."

"We .... I mean I .... am here to be chosen as his future wife, sweetie."