58

Edmund's POV

All I could see, was a white wall of rain. It poured down like there's no tomorrow – in my face, on my body and on Storm, soaking us to the bone. He could barely hold on to the muddy road, while keeping up his speed.

I didn't know, where they have taken Thea. She could be in any town. I spun with my horse for couple of minutes, trying to decide, which way to go. A possibility to miss her, while being in other place, troubled me.

I remember Fiona mentioned their looks. Brown, dirty coats with accents of dark red... . 

Traders. 

Not someone I recognize from nearby towns. It pained me to think, that she could be taken much further away. Maybe Thea is taken to the city of Shire, where I first saw and took her with me? The largest market is located in it, the only one in my state.

Without wasting any second, I bolt in a direction, where my heart tells to go.

As the city comes closer, my mind takes me back to the time, when I was just a child, walking the streets of Shire. I was deeply annoyed by my mother that day. It was one of those times, I had to attend her social gatherings with her girlfriends. I felt like a dog at the show, rare and special, not for who I was, but for who I will be in the future. She constantly bragged about my oddly colored eyes. She saw nothing else in me. I left her that day. In my heart, I felt worthless, small, insignificant to people, who should love me. I wanted to curl up and turn into nothing and then I noticed her. That small, malnourished girl with black hair, who looked just like me, just how I felt inside – like nothing.

When I got closer and wanted to look at her face, she curled even tighter in to her arms, looking scared and frightened. Only, then when I got her attention, she lost her previous timidness. This girl looked at me dreamily, like I was a supernatural being. She didn't know, who I was nor who I will be in the future. At that moment she saw only me – just a boy.

I bought her. I couldn't change my life, but I had a power to make a difference in hers. I wanted to....

I feel like I have failed to do it, as I originally wanted it. Thea still suffered. I didn't make her life better, I did nothing to make her happy.

I have reached a marketplace. The smells and sights are overwhelming my senses. Nothing much has changed. I see the same kind of faces, they sell the same goods and slaves too. A sight of them, makes me more determined to find Thea. I hope she is still here in the crowd, not sold to some dirty man.

I am cold, my drenched clothes and hair are making me uncomfortable. Some people look at me, as if I was some insane man wearing clothes of the nobles. One woman even screamed in fright. I do not blame her. My eyes have always left people weary, as if I was not a human. Storm follows me close behind, he is tired, the same way as I, but no matter how bad I feel, I will not stop looking for her.

In a distance I see a group of men with the coats I have been looking for. They are busy with themselves. I desperately try to spot Thea, but she is not there. All women slaves, that they are holding, are so different from her. There is no grace or elegance in their movements, their hair in light colors, dirty skin and clothes hide their bruised bodies. A lump forms in my throat thinking, that Thea might be receiving the treatment similar to them. Not long ago, I inflicted the same pain. I still can't get over it.

I feel angry all of the sudden thinking, that these man might have hurt her. Maria sent her away. She sent Thea to experience the same, old miserable life, when she was just a child. I don't want to think of something worse happening to her.

"May I help you sir?"

"I am looking for a girl.." I barely hold my anger in. I try to appear as casual as possible, while eyeing a small crowd of captured females.

"What type do you want? We have all kind of girls. All what you see here and more." A man, with who I was talking to, grinned."

" Black hair, light skin, sweet...nat..." I nearly growled and my form towered over him.

"Oh, man. You are hungry, aren't you. Calm down..." He smiled nervously.

"Where can I find more?"

I took him by the collar. I needed answers, now. I didn't have time to chat and look at the random girls. 

"Hey, man! Just calm down. I can tell you, just let.... let me go."

"Where?"

"We have more in "Meadow's charm". Plenty, and the most prettiest. I promise, you will like there."

Storm came few steps closer and puffed a large cloud of steamed breath in to his face. He was eager to move on. My horse never liked big crowds.

"What the hell she is doing there!"

"Who? I don't know, what you are talking about! You know, I don't want trouble. Just go and see for yourself." This man was getting intimidated.

I didn't want to think, that Maria and these people would have taken Thea to this kind of place. 

If she is there and something happens or anybody touches her, They will have a hell to pay!

"Meadow's charm"  - a worst place to be for my girl.