25

"OK. ....when are you leaving?" I tried to suppress my tears.

"Tomorrow."

For a second I lost my breath. It came so sudden. Did Edmund made this decision just now or did he kept his plans in secret from me much longer? From the next morning I will not see him for years to come. For him it might be simple to say 'do the same things'. I have done everything for him, only him.... I was never allowed to aid other servants or put a finger on things and tasks which didn't include Edmund in some way. It feels like I won't be able to function properly without him.... 

I have to try and overcome his absence in near future. I have to endure and be strong, patient until my Master comes back.

His pose went back to his stoic one. I could see sometimes, he is biting back his true emotions or feelings. I do not know what he feels or thinks. It is like a deep mystery to me and probably to everyone else he encounters. I would like to know his deeper being, but I am in no place to ever dig under his hard exterior to find a 'gem' hidden within his heart. A 'gem' I would treasure as much as jewels he gave me.

Whole day servants were running around the house and gathered Edmund's belongings for a trip to his main house on other side of, what used to be a former Hadria. At this time, it is another piece of land his family owns, but soon it will be one whole, as the eyes of new King will be watching over, along with other small countries, which are scattered around and ruled by various Lords. Oddly, in so many years I have never been to his other properties. This whole time he spent time here. Even his parents traveled around and left this house for many months, but Edmund never did. I get a feeling, he likes here, being so far away from a big hustle of a city.

Today I have to go to library and read one of his books. I have started one describing plants and their medical abilities, their importance in nature, as well as other purposes for human needs. It is so interesting, because I can find them out in the fields and see for myself , what they are about. Our head nurse have shown me some of her uses for plants too. 

Edmund doesn't read books so much anymore. Sometimes I see him go through articles in newspaper, while he waits for my reading session to end. Once I imagined him having a well styled mustache and a pipe between his lips, while he is reading...... Like other older men I have seen. It made me laugh, but in reality, he looks nothing like men I imagine. Edmund is too serious, he does not smoke.... 

I open the door of book filled room and let him in. The smell of paper brushes gently over my nose. I love this room. It have opened a world I would have never been able to see, if not because of Edmund insisting on my education. I am so thankful to him for this opportunity given me, for a life, he have gifted to a lowly slave. He have made me to want to live again, not like many years ago, before I met him. I was ready to go and give up on myself. Though, my thoughts have changed by now. 

I go straight for a book, I have been reading, as it sits between other leathery covers of various sets of subjects. I feel excited and I have almost taken a thought of Edmund leaving, out of my mind. 

"What are you reading today?" Edmund's voice booms through the empty room. 

"It is about plants used in medicine. The same thing I read yesterday, don't you remember?" my voice sounds too cheery for this early morning .

"I remember everything, Thea." 

I see him hiding a smile, as he watches me from other side of the room. He sits on one of the cushioned chairs, completely relaxed. Again, I see his emotions bubbling in his eyes, but he keeps his face still. Why doesn't he take that mask off. I think, I am no one to be shown his superior status. He is my Master, nothing will change it, even if he lets his guard down. Edmund will always be on top.

"I even remember, how dirty your feet were the first time I saw you."

My eyes shoot up. I watched him - little bit embarrassed and ashamed. Was Edmund making fun of me? I could not tell this time....

"You shouldn't remember such things...." I said, muffling my word in my sleeve, while I hid my face behind a book.

"Well.... I can't help myself, if I do...."

He shifted and turned other way, to have a view out of the window looking upon a garden. I got my attention back on a book.

***

A day outside was gloomy, like my mind and probably a feeling of some others gathered. It was nothing special, just Edmund leaving this property. But the reason for sadness was most likely the fact, he will not be returning for many years. 

I could not crack a smile. I felt like a puppy left without a home in a rainy day.

Edmund's mother and father was here too to say goodbyes to him, Adele, Fiona, Nicolas too and in the back stood James. He have come quite a distance from stables. Maybe they are better friends with Edmund than I thought....

I noticed Harry sitting on a couch box almost ready to go. He spotted me and flashed almost invisible smile, hidden behind his thick mustache.

"Good bye father, mother.... I will see you soon." Edmund's voice was cold as he talked to his parents. 

"Have a safe trip, Edmund." His father petted him on a shoulder and I saw my Master's face relax for a second.

In years his relationship with his dad have changed, they have become much closer, than before, but nothing could be said about his mother. I have not seen her attempting to change anything, nor Edmund getting softer towards her. 

"Aren't you going to say goodbyes too?" He was standing so close to me, I could feel his minted scent. 

I could feel tears clouding my blue eyes. I didn't want him to leave. I shook my head, as words didn't want to come out at this moment. 

"Remember what I said to you.... I will come back." Edmund whispered quietly in my ear."