9

I hesitantly walked through the dark halls in order to get the hold of Edmund's lunch. Afraid to lose myself in this huge property, I looked for recognizable sights. This archway led to servant's house, I was certain of it.

If I didn't get back in time, he will be unpleased with me from the very start.

Just not long ago we returned from stables and garden – different than the one behind me. His horse was something to watch out. So full with energy and crazy, like a wild animal. I was surprised how anybody could take control of him? Somehow I did. What was about me, that he decided to follow and comply?

***

We let him loose somewhere near the main stables and went to look at other animals stationed in it. All horses looked beautiful, big and healthy. The stables were clean and tidy. James went back to work and Edmund kept telling me things about the horses and mentioned their names too. It was quite overwhelming seeing so many of them. After that, we went back to the main house through the same path we came. I could see Edmund enjoying freedom. His face was relaxed and he seemed a bit happy, like a child he should be. That was a face and a person I wished to admire, but I knew that it was just my imagination. In reality, Edmund was arrogant, snobbish and really mean at times. Very proud of himself too. I had no idea what else was hiding in him considering the amount of time I have spent with my new master – only a day or two... Right now on this sunny day and on a lush field of grass he seemed like a mirage to me. Too real to be a truly good and kind person.

We walked whole way in silence. I enjoyed it and felt in peace for a moment after so much time spent experiencing bubbling emotions. I walked on the side of the path, short soft grass was touching my skin, soothing my naked feet. Linen nightgown was still on me and I wondered if I ever receive proper clothing – something more comfortable and practical to wear. I was afraid to ask him now when he looked so peaceful. This moment I wished to last longer, but slowly I saw a wall enclosing his property appear and it meant all this wonderful moment will be over.

Edmund sighed. He turned back into his usual appearance and walked confidently through the gate. Guards bowed, but he did not acknowledge their effort to please him. As I predicted he became the same Edmund I have used to see.

This time we didn't go straight away to his room or any place I have visited today. We continued our way along the carved wall of the property until we reached an archway. Through it, I could see a garden with a huge fountain, which spewed water on each side by winged horses. They were the life-size sculptures, beautiful and looked like beings out of a different world. Each of them faced outwards pointing to all four sides of sky. They had some type of golden armor on the base of their swan-like wings. If I allowed my imagination to run wild, I would think they were real – like his white horses at the stables.

After passing the fountain, we walked along a large pond. In it scattered floated waterlilies – their bright green leaves contrasting with almost black looking water in the shade of tall trees. Flowers looked made of silk, almost in the same pale shade as Edmund's eyes. I noticed couple of large fish swimming our way. Upon closing in on us, I saw their true color – the heavy shade of yellow, almost gold looking sleek bodies swirled in water with elegance and grace. I dropped on my knees on dump ground and reached with my hand to attempt and touch their precious bodies. Creature's thick lips pumped water in and out with large gulps as it was nearing me and watching my suspicious approach. Just as I could almost touch it, it snapped back in a deep pond, it's tail sending a splash of water in my face. I fell back on my bum and felt someone behind me. It was Edmund, watching me with a wide smile and a bit of amusement in his eyes.

"Don't go so close, it is deep. That fish could have dragged you in if it got hold of your tiny hand."

"Sorry. It... was just so beautiful. I wanted to...."

"It's fine. You don't have to explain."

There were so many interesting things in this garden that I could get lost and forget about the world outside. It looked more natural than sculptured and designed spot inside his huge house. For these nobles, it would look like a garden that was badly taken care of.

Edmund have found his place on rather old looking swings. His legs were moving back and forth but I saw he was actually hesitant to move more in order to make use of swings. Something I have never seen, he did not look so confident anymore. Why was it? Was he ashamed to enjoy himself?

"Do you like to play?"

"Play? Play what?" I was confused.

"Just play around, as someone like you suppose to?"

"I don't know... I haven't tried..."

"Do you want to?"

I shrug my shoulders.

Edmund did not wait for a clear answer but came to me.

"Now, listen. I have heard of a game. You count to ten and at that time I will find a place to hide. After that you have to find me." he smiled sweetly.

"I...I can't..."

"Close your eyes!"

"... I ...."

"Do as I say!" he pushed harder.

I hesitantly closed my eyes. I felt ashamed..... I did not want Edmund to laugh at me and think I was stupid.

I felt his hands around my body as he was spinning me, I had my eyes closed. His breath hit my ear and he whispered: "Now count to ten and then try to find me!"

I inhaled the air deeply and tried to remember the numbers.

"One......two...." I heard leaves behind me shuffle. "Three....... ...... seven...... TEN!"

I opened my eyes and saw no one. Edmund was gone. What was I supposed to do? My head was spinning slightly.

Right. He said I have to find him. But where might he be? In the bushes? No... Edmund wouldn't go in there... I looked around but did not know how to really play this game nor how to find him. Garden was huge and he could be anywhere.