44

Maria's POV

I wandered around the house in hopes to find some entertainment. Edmund have left me by myself again and I have a slight clue, why. To babysit his slave. He should allow her to live her own life sometimes. It is starting to irritate me, that my husband is paying more attention to her, than me. I deserve more and he should open his eyes for once to see, who is more important - his wife. 

Technically I am not his wife yet, but the reality is not too far from it. I have to wait just little bit more. I have to convince him to finally marry me or he will be too old by the time he decides to make a move himself. Edmund is so hard headed, it makes me mad, very mad. I want to slap him for his rudeness at times like today. In front of my friends and his slave, he had no shame to ditch me and order me, like I am in the same position as that girl. 

I struggle to keep my hands in place, I am ready to pull my hair out of frustration, but it will be a shame to look at myself later in a mirror of what monster I have made of myself. 

I can't  help but sigh. Need to calm down and need to find Edmund. Maybe he is alone and we can spend time together all alone.

Where could he be? Edmund? Edmund....... Maybe in his room? 

As I open the door, I am faced with nothing. No one is in his room. Is he avoiding me? A window is wide opened, long curtains sway, as far as to the middle of the whole room. Wind is little bit too cold, to be allowed to fill a bedroom. How can he sleep in a room full of smells from outside?

 My mind can't  take it anymore and I decide to close a damn window. It is so big and heavy. I have barely managed to shut it. Do I have to do this? Where are the servants, who should take better care of my husbands room? Nothing works in this house. Staff is lazy, slaves are free to do, whatever they want. When I will be a queen, everything will change. I will make a full revision of this mansion to fit my tastes. Edmund will have no choice.

I am on my way to continue my search. Over a balcony I see Thea talking to a maid. Good. At least I know Edmund is all alone. She won't be coming to look for him. It is only him, who seems to be too occupied with a thought of being near her.

My feet carries me to a library, I squeeze my head and look around. My love is sitting on a couch with a newspaper in his lap, but his sight is set on scenery outside.  He is daydreaming or  occupied with other thoughts, probably insignificant. Window is wide opened again, transparent day curtains nearly touch his face, as they sway like wings of a butterfly.

"I found you, love!" I smile at him and wait for his reaction.

Edmund snaps out of his dream, looks me over, but then takes his eyes back on the world outside. Is there something more interesting than me?

"Edmund, you will catch a cold, if you leave all your windows opened." 

The slight irritation of that window, takes me on a job to close it shut. Room is calm again and his sight is finally set on me. 

"Edmund, I am bored. Will you entertain me with something?" I lean over the edge of a couch to be closer to him and see the marble eyes of my King.

"What do you want?" He says calmly and I don't like the sound of his response, like he is too bored to even care. I just don't understand him at all. How do I make him more active and interested in different things. He is a King, he should be enjoying the benefits that this power gives him.

I walk around his seat and position myself next to him, very close. I want him to hold me in his arms and tell me things, his secrets, his feelings.

"I want ...... you to tell me, whats in your heart?" I scoop even closer to him. 

I am so happy, he is not pushing me away. This might be the perfect moment for two of us. My heart can't stop flattering like a trapped butterfly.  

"What kind of question is that?" I see him avoiding the subject.

"You, dummy! Don't you dare to ignore me." I tap softly his barely visible, stubble overgrown cheek.

Ohhh... He looks so manly up close. The sharp line of his jaw, his eyebrows creased, as both of them look almost specially groomed to be perfect. And his eyes.... I love them the most. Something, that only King possesses - a sign of power. A face of other men don't stand close to his strong, manly gentlemanly features. They are either built like bulls or lean like your regular everyday man, but Edmund is something between. I feel so lucky, as I have gotten him so easily to be mine and only mine.

"When are we going to get married?" I say softly.

"I don't know. When I will feel like it..."

"You always say it. I have been waiting for years. If you would be smart enough, you would be a king long ago. You are just dragging it and make us wait endlessly. Me and people of Hadria. They need you, Edmund. I need you."

He stayed silent. I wanted so much for him to spill out his inner thoughts, but nothing is making him open up. 

"What is stopping you?"

Edmund averted his eyes and looked outside, like trying to find something, which was not actually there. What is he thinking about?

"Is it her?"

"Who?"

"Thea. I have always thought, why are you keeping her? All these years in your house, even when you were not here. What was a point of it? Edmund! Why is she here?" I pulled his face over, so he finally looks at me.

"To.... work for me."

"Work? I haven't seen her do a single thing. Don't lie to me."

"She doesn't need to do such work as you imagine. Her presence is enough for me. Just for Thea being here is enough to satisfy me."

"What? What is that suppose to mean?"

"Nothing. You heard, what I said."

"Edmund. Edmund!" He chose to ignore me again.

"Just leave me alone for some time, Maria."

And just like that..... He have ruined all the wonderful mood of our time together.....again.