22

I got bored after some time of listening to their conversations about dresses, money and the stuff only noble girls can experience. Some things I could not understand, considering I have not faced them in my life. 

I wandered around the garden for some time, admiring flowers, people and fine weather. It was so sunny, it made me almost blind. When getting back up on the floor, where I last left Edmund, I saw no familiar faces. Not Edmund, the old man, nor a princess like looking girl. I felt very lost and out of place. I was allowed to do anything I want. Have there ever been such a moment in my life, I have been given such freedom. I could not figure out at least one thing to do. 

I decided to go back and wait my Master by a carriage. I wanted to look again in eyes of his magical horses. They calmed me. I remember once I was put to sleep in stables for many days, that was where the owner of that time wanted me to be. He could not stand a thought of mere slave stepping in to his house. I was too small to do heavy work with horses, but he never cared. The only thing I grew fond of, were animals.

It was hard to find Edmund's horses, they were not stationed in the same place, where we left them. Carriage was moved further away to a special parking lot with others. I glanced over to spot the real one. All of them looked so similar, with horses to match. How am I supposed to find ours here? Maybe I should go back? 

I pushed myself up on my toes, to see those well taken care of animals only Edmund has - shiny and black as coal.

At the exact moment, when I spotted them, a heavy hand landed on my shoulder, pushing me back down on a ground level.

"Hey, little one! What are you doing here?" rumbly voice of an older man brushed over my head. 

He was skinny and not too tall, with white hair and mustaches the same shade. It made a such a contrast with his black attire.

First he scared me, but then I remembered who he is - our coachman. My rapid breathing slowed down, when I saw his smile, slightly hidden behind his thick mustaches.

"I wanted to find our horses...." I said little bit timidly.

"Doesn't our Lord need your assistance?"

"No. He let me go for rest of the time."

"Alright, child. Come here."

I followed him, through carriages and horses. My tiny footsteps echoed between the frequent thuds of hooves.

"What's your name?" 

"Thea...."

"I am Harry." he smiled again. "Come, get up here." Harry patted his seat on top of his coach box. It was so high up and it made me put all strength to pull myself up. Luckily this old man helped me. "You are a small one, haha."

His carefree laugh made me crack a small smile too. By his side, I felt so easy, he seemed quite a simple man.

I thought we will be sitting awkwardly in silence next to each other, but Harry broke a silence, which have barely taken place.

"Why aren't you spending time with other girls? There are many today attending this event."

"I... I am not in position to talk to them freely. And they are here for different reasons, than just to make friends, I think."

"Hmm... You are right, Thea."

"H...Harry? Why are these girls here? They want to get married to Edmund?"

"Hahaaha. Not all of them. Just only one lucky, if she is lucky enough." Harry's strong laugh was shaking our seat just slightly. "Lordship is very picky young man, he has his standards. Also he has to fulfill his role as a future king. This event might be one of his tasks to successfully rule our lands. Every king needs a queen."

"But how can he chose someone, just by meeting only once? Wouldn't it take longer for them to fall in love and then think about marriage?"

"Thea, in this world some people have to do things against their will, against their feelings. This is a must for a king, likes he that or not."

"That's so sad."

"Don't be sad. He might find one tonight, who will spark true feelings. I believe it."

"I hope for it too." I smiled back at Harry. 

"Will you excuse me, little princess? I have some things to attend."

"Hihi..." I couldn't hide an amusement hearing his words. He called me a princess!

***

Harry was gone for quite some time. First, I spent minutes swaying my legs against a coach box in boredom. I was getting tired of sitting and decided to stretch my limbs. Few laps around our carriage wasn't enough to satisfy me. 

A hand landed on my shoulder and I nearly jumped, but this time from happiness, thinking Harry have returned. I turned around and saw a young man with a black hat, his hair were very short, brown. He looked like a gentleman.

"Hey, little one!"

"Y...yeah..."

"Are you the one with Lord Wiltshire?"

"I...I am."

"Sorry to scare you like that. I wanted to talk to him myself, but whole night I haven't met him. Could I ask you a favor?"

"What is it, sir?"

"I have a gift for him. Could you give this to our Lordship?"

In his hands he hold a small rectangular box - red and with a golden ribbon around it. It looked expensive.

"This? OK, I will give it to him..." I still watched the beautiful box. "From who is it? What should I tell him?"

He put his glowed finger in front of his lips and shushed. 

"A secret. He will know." He added a wink.

"Alright. I will give it to him."

"Bye, little princess."

He slipped through horses and carriages and was gone from my sight in minutes.

I looked back down at a gift box. It was not deep and was very light. I noticed, that it wasn't sealed either. I fought the urge to open it. 

Nobody will know, if I just looked inside, just one little peek.

I lifted a lid and there it was..... many, many, different kind if small balls with chocolate candy, some wrapped in golden or silver papers.

My mouth watered and I desperately wanted to taste one. 

I shook my head, remembering, that I am not allowed. It is exclusively for Edmund, not me or anybody else.....

But..... maybe no one will notice, if I take just one, very little..... only one....