39

Edmund was scary. My heart was beating hard in my chest and I was sure, that he could feel it too.

My Master breathed hard in my face.

"Will you come by yourself or ....?" he said calmly, like he never was in hold of anger moments ago.

I shook my head immediately, telling him 'yes', while his hold was getting weaker on my jaw.

"OK. Then lets go back." He took me by a wrist and lead me back. Right before we entered a dining room, he let go of me.

"What happened, Edmund?" Maria asked with curiosity present in her voice.

"Thea just had a small wave of sickness. Nothing serious." My Master took a napkin and continued with his breakfast. I tried to appear as casual, as possible. Maria seemed to buy it. She smiled like a person with no single worry in her life.

"Hmm? Edmund? Are you comming to a party tomorrow night?"

"What party?" his face showed no interest in subject.

"Lord of Almeck is hosting an event for his children and everyone is invited to join, especialy young ladies and gentlemen." Rose added too eager to be a part of the conversation.

"Yes. I, Rose and Anna are going, you should too." Maria pushed harder.

"I don't have time for that."

"Oww! Come on. It would be too rude to leave us 'all ladies' completely alone. .... What are you going to do then? Sit and watch out the window at nothing the rest of the night?"

Edmund took a break from his half eaten desert and stared at Maria. Seemed he wants to say something, but his mouth was shut tight.

"It would be a good chance for you both to build up relations with other high society members and lords." Suggested Anna. All of them looked intently at Edmund, what could be described as ' puppy eyes'.

"I bet everyone would be so excited and honored to see you attending it!"

"I won't, Maria. Thats my final word."

"But we need to spend more time togeth...."

Only one glare of Edmund made her stop instantly. She averted her eyes at me, clearly offended by his attitude.

"Then I will take Thea with us. She needs a time outside of this house."

"Thea is not going anywhere!"

I felt very awkward listening to their slowly escalating arguing. I thought their relationship might be sun and roses, but it seemed there was something more between them, something more complicated.

Something puzzled me even more. Why Maria wanted me to join?

"Why are you not asking her first, if she wants or not?"

Maria seemed to be completely unaffected by Edmund's straight answer or even his previous glare. I think she have already forgotten his earlier subtle warning. She was not afraid of him and her composure showed Maria's confidence. I could never be like her. It is so hard to imagine myself standing up against Edmund and keeping on with such attitude further. My master would never allow me to cross the boarder of disrespect towards him. He would surely demand it, if not shown by free will.

The rest of the morning went on with nothing more, but insignificant talk, mostly between girls.

It was hard to understand, why was I asked to be present, if no one cared about my attendance at all?

Later I was asked to follow him to a library. Edmund have left his ladies behind. I was waiting in anticipation for a job or something to do, to see for what use I will be from now on. Will it be the same tasks Edmund have always entrusted me or I will get new type of work on my hands.

His library looked the same. I have forgotten the sight of it, the smell of old paper and leather. I could not get my relaxing time at this room while reading. I had to sneak in fast, grab a book and find another place to read it, where Martha did not think to look for me. It was hard period and it makes me sad, I haven't used enough time for studying.

"Grab something! I want to see how far behind you are, considering you might not have gotten a time for reads these years."

He sat on his sofa, took a newspaper and immersed himself in his own world, while keeping an eye on me.

"It is not like I didn't do anything....." I said while going through the shelves choosing a book, that would interest me.

The top covers of some books were dusty. No one really cared about them. I have a guess that cleaning here is done only to maintain a room in good condition, not to fully making it spotless. I take one and vigorously shake the dust off. It falls on floor after some time floating in mid air like thick, grey snowflakes. I am ready to reach for another one, when I hear Edmund.

"What are you doing?"

'cough' "I am cleaning..." I looked at him confused.

"I didn't ask for you to clean anything. Sit down and read!"

I brushed a book of dust one more time and decided to read, what was in it, not even looking for other one, more appealing to me. I have picked up a romance book - something I never go for, considering there is nothing valuable for me to learn at this stage, it would be more suitable for entertainment. If I would ever have a time to take my time and read it without disturbance.... Actually I am very curious, what kind of story it holds.

Thoughts drift back to breakfast. Maria is so pretty, well mannered and friendly person as well as her friends. I expected different attitude from her kind.

"Why Lady Maria wanted me to attend a party with her?" I asked out of the blue.

Edmund lifted his eyes from a newspaper.

"Do you want to go?"

I shrugged. I knew it would make me very anxious being in unfamiliar location without Edmund near. 

 Like knowing, what Maria had intended, he replied without hesitation.

"She would have made fun of you in front of everyone."

If it would be physically possible my jaw would have dropped on the table with a loud thud. Would Maria do such thing? She didn't seem a person, who would do something so unethical.

More questions swarmed up in my head too many to chose from, but something interested me more than anything. I have wondered about this from a time I arrived here. Edmund have always treated me differently. He have always reminded me of who I am, but his actions are so different from any other person, who views me as a slave.

"Edmund? Why did you buy me?"

His gaze snapped at me, but I hold on to it, even though my instinct was to hide behind a book. I have asked something I have never questioned. I have always assumed I was here to work, but that is something I am doing the least, while he have been here. Also now, when he have returned, Edmund have not made me do anything. He is acting different too and I am so confused of his intentions towards me or why I am even here.

He smiled. First it appeared very light and genuine, but then it turned into his mischievous smirk.

"You are here to 'work' for me."

Was that it? 

My Master stood up, put his newspaper carefully down and came up to my table. His form leaned over it, shadowing my form. 

"Also to keep me a com...."

"EDMUND! Here you are. You should come downstairs. My family friends have come here. They want to see you!" Maria swooped through the door suddenly.