51

Thea's POV

Half a year I lived in servants house. Edmund's room hold too much memories, for me to be able to live in it without any depressing thoughts. Every time I entered it, I remember his face, words he said and time spent doing nothing. My whole life hold the most significant moments in his presence. Now Edmund seems so far away, that it gives a feeling, that all of it was just a part of a dream for better life.

Nothing of the things we have been through was really true. Edmund pretended, made me think and feel emotions, which were never meant to become a reality.

He is still here in his house, but I hardly see him. It seems that we both have chosen to avoid each other, but for different reasons, I think. I have been well, when Edmund was not near. His presence stirred up the feelings I developed over time. Respect, admiration and something new I have dismissed. It was love. I love him as my owner, Master, my caretaker and ruler of my life - a king, that's what he truly is. Also the love for the companionship he gave me. I love Edmund as a man, the only important man in my life. But this love can never be expressed or shown to the world, for the differences in our status. No matter, what I feel or what he feels, there will be no future for us. 

I spent my days working, helping servants, in hopes to rid my mind of thoughts about Edmund, it have gone well and my heart doesn't hurt so much, as it used to for these minor things.

"Thea? Could you please take this tea set to a living room. It has to go now." One of the servant girls asked.

"For...."

"For lordship. Hurry! He will be deeply upset for waiting."

I took a trolley with tea and some biscuits and headed to a main house. I understood completely, that a maid was worried about it delivered in time. Edmund's temper have grown worse over the months. Just a minor mistake can set him off. Then.... pays a price, whoever is in his path at that exact moment. His standards has risen higher or maybe he has become more picky.  

As I got closer to a stairwell, I heard Maria argue, most likely with Edmund. I felt hesitant to go up. Maria meant extra drama and I knew, she didn't like me. My only hope was, that she would leave. 

"How much longer, Edmund? I am not getting younger and prettier. I want our wedding date to be set! No more excuses!" Moment of silence suggested, that Maria took some time to calm down. "My dad will be coming over, remember? Better show off yourself properly."

Stumping of her delicate shoes faded away, but I didn't know, if Edmund is still in his place. I stood against the wall downstairs with a tray in my hands. My heart was beating hard in my chest, but I tried to calm myself. Nothing will go wrong. I just need to get a tea set upstairs and leave.

A way up seemed to drag forever, even though there were only few steps, in order to reach upper floor. Edmund sat just in front of me, staring hard in my face, like he knew I was coming. He laid in his chair, relaxed and slightly slouched down, giving an appearance, that there was nothing he cared about. My Master's left hand supported his chin, while his index finger rested against his cheek. Edmund's gaze was different - hard, cold, arrogance gleamed in his white eyes and...... something similar to hatred....

I didn't want to look in his eyes, this look scared me, it was not Edmund I have known. My goal was to finish my job and get out of this room as fast as possible.

"Why are you here?"

"To deliver, what you asked for." I hold my gaze on delicate tea cups in front of me, while I sorted them out.

"Maids are for that purpose. This is not your job." His voice sounded very ordering, harsh.

"Then, what is my job? You haven't specified my role in this house, apart from being just a slave."

"Look at me, when I am talking to you!"

I didn't want to. His stare will shutter my heart and will send me back to my former me.

"I said, look at me!"

Edmund grabbed my wrist and hold it tight. A cup fell out of my hands and shuttered in pieces on the floor. My heart stopped. My eyes traveled to his face, but I regretted I did so. His lips were twisted in a small smirk, while his eyes hold the same superior emotion.

"Good. I like this face of yours much better."

What he meant with that? Is he enjoying seeing me frightened?

 My thoughts were more occupied on a broken tea cup. It looked expensive and I destroyed it. What am I going to do? I am in deep, deep trouble.

Edmund still hold on to me strongly. 

"Do you know how much it cost? Do you know, in what kind of trouble you just got yourself into?"

"It.... wasn't my fault." I could barely hold my voice calm.

"Well.... it fell out of your hands. Now... you will have to pay for it."

Edmund have gone insane. How do I pay for this broken cup? How do I pay for anything, if nothing belongs to me? I feel like he did it on purpose. 

"How? I have nothing to pay with..."

Edmund stood up, but didn't release my wrist yet. "I will find a way for you to cover the expenses. Also, I will make sure to crumble down your new wall of confidence. I don't like it." He hissed the last words in to my ear.

I have never seen Edmund this way. It felt like being in a presence of real royalty. He was cold, uncaring..... unforgiving.