62

I felt so conscious sleeping next to him with nothing protecting my body. Luckily the blushing of my cheeks could not be seen in low light. The masculine scent of mint Edmund wears, calmed me down and the fact that he has kept his word of not going any further on his personal advances on me. It always made me little bit scared and uncomfortable by the way he chose to approach me - assertive and dominating he seemed. Also I didn't want to be shamed for being in intimate relationship outside of marriage. In this society it is the biggest concern of showing everybody, that you are a respectable woman. 

Edmund's hand gently brushed over my head in calming motion, sometimes his fingers went through them. I could only hear a sound of slowly burning wood in fireplace. I had not experienced anything more relaxing in a long time. No one was here to disturb this peace, just the two of us. 

My body have slowly warmed up, I could not feel a trace of the cold, that cling to me before. Edmund on other hand had to spend more time. 

"Edmund? How did you manage to take me away from "Meadow's charm"?"

"I... You know, I am a king. I just took, what's mine..."

"I don't believe you. They did not seem like people, who would give away their property so easily."

"I... I bought you out from there..." He didn't seem happy to admit it.

My memories went back to that place. What could've happened, if Edmund never came, if he didn't pay for me? I would have to spend my life there. 

"I was so afraid, they are going to make me do it...." I sobbed in my Master's embrace. "Thank you, thank you so much. I can never repay you, for what you have done..."

I pulled myself closer to his strong chest, in desperation to feel the comfort and safely. I was still scared, that it will turn out to be just a dream and I will wake up back, where I was.

"Don't be scared, Thea. I will keep you safe. I will try to be a better man. ... We will go home tomorrow."

I remember, who was in the mansion, a person who made me leave the house, I spent my life in. Maria. I didn't want to think, what her reaction will be seeing me back and together with Edmund.

"What about Maria? She will not be happy."

"Forget about her. She will no longer make you suffer."

"How? She is still your fiance. What about your wedding?"

"There will be no wedding. I canceled it. And I hope she will not be at my property by the time we return. You don't need to worry about her anymore."

It came to me as a shock. I couldn't believe, that Edmund has canceled his marriage with such high born lady as Maria, who is so well known in society and admired by different people. What will come out of it? People will get furious hearing the news and Edmund's irrational decision.

"What will happen to your right to a throne? You will need to find different woman to take her place..."

"I don't care about it anymore." Was Edmund's blunt answer. 

I could see him deep in thoughts, battling his own decisions, I could assume.

"I am so sorry. It is all my fault. If I wouldn't  be such an eyesore to Maria, nothing of this would have happened. I know, I can't do anything to change things, but..... please forgive me, please..... please...., I just want you to be happy..."

"Do you think, that this life made me happy, that Maria was the one who could do that? She didn't and never would, because I have not loved her at least a single moment in my life. In fact, she made my life miserable. You don't need to apologize."

"What do you need to feel better, Edmund? What makes you happy?"

He hesitated.

"All I need is you by my side. I will be happy only then, when I see a smile on your face...."

I couldn't believe my ears. Was it so little to make this rich man, soon to be king, a happy man? I wanted to know if there is more to it. Edmund lifted my face to look me in the eyes. 

"Don't shy away, Thea. I want you to know something."

My heart was beating hard, as I anticipated his words. Bad or good..... I had never had such deep conversation with my Master. He never opened up to me, never told me his deepest thoughts.

"I have never told you the true reason I bought you many years ago. I always told you lies about what you are, in hopes, you don't expect more of me, if I ever fail to deliver, what I truly intended. You have never been a slave in my eyes. You were a friend I always needed. I wanted to make you happy. It was my only goal. I couldn't watch you being sad and miserable at the marketplace... I bought you, to free your life of true misery that would await you. From the day one, I have cherished your presence, loved you as my friend and support. I love you. Thea.... I love you as a man. You are the only woman I have ever cared about."

I could not help, but tear up, hearing his words, his thoughts, which were hidden in his heart for so long. His hand smoothly touched my cheek covered in tears, as he looked at me deeply with a face of relief. 

He placed his soft lips on mine and kissed me gently. There was so much emotion in to it. The kiss also felt so different from the one he gave me before. My heart filled with warm feeling and butterflies in my stomach danced erratically. 

"Thea... please don't cry... ." He gave me a soft peck on my cheek and hugged me, taking me deeper in to his embrace. 

My heart could not stop beating and could hardly calm down.