21

"Oh..." was my only answer. 

So this was not just a party for rich people, but something more serious. Is Edmund really planning to get married? So young?

I glance up at him, he is busy talking with some older man with light grey and thick mustaches. This man has a quite round belly as well as his cheeks. He seems in very light mood, constantly smiling and laughing in front of Edmund. 

Right.... my Master probably is waiting for his drink, I should hurry. Before I have managed to excuse myself from a young lady's presence, she stops me.

"For who is that drink in your hands, may I ask? Not for you.... I suppose." she looked in a glass from afar.

"It is for my Lord." I replied calmly.

"Do you think he will like it? I will give something better for him. Something more suitable for his highborn tastes." She immediately went over to a table with abundance of drinks and picked up a fancy looking glass  with an olive green substance. This girl even didn't take her time to consider her choice twice. She might know, what she is doing.... as more educated person.

"Don't bother with yours." she smiled. "I will take this to him myself." She swayed a glass in front of my face.

I watched, as she elegantly moved towards my Master. I felt little bit down and nervous. Edmund ordered me to bring him something and what am I doing? Just standing here kind of defeated...

Upon seeing a young girl, the thick mustache man greets her with a wide smile, he snakes his big arm around her shoulders and moves her slightly closer to Edmund. Oddly, she doesn't bother to bow or greet him in any way.

I watch them.... I wanted to give this drink to him, I wanted to be useful in some way, but have failed my task. Edmund might get angry or upset for my delay. I don't know what to do now. Should I go to him with my drink or stay here? 

I see him take a glass from her hands. Then he looks up at me with a questionable look and something else, but I can't point out what I see in his features. Edmund takes a sip, not leaving his eyes from my form. Immediately his face makes a weird grimace, but as quick as it appeared, it gone again. What happened to him?

A glass is pushed back in girl's delicate hands and in seconds I see him march towards me. My heart is ready to jump out, seeing his intense glare at me.

"What is taking you so long? I told you, I am thirsty."

Edmund pulled out a glass from my hands and drank the contents of it in one go, till it was empty. I was left in shock of how quick it happened.

"I...am sorry, Edmund. It will not happen again." 

His hard words made me want to coil up into a ball and disappear. He was slightly pissed off, but I could not pinpoint the reason for it. It couldn't  be because of me, but then again.....I didn't see a different source for his action.

"Hmm... You are free to do whatever you want until we leave. Just don't go too far."

"But... don't you....?"

"No 'but's', Thea."

Edmund turned around and went back to attend a girl and her old man, who had a puzzled expression on their faces.

They and all other people in this hall looked so similar, in their outfits, manners and other tastes, so fit to be together in their own group or bubble of similar people. I wanted to fit in somewhere too, but I have never felt that way anywhere. With other slaves? With servants? I have never been placed together with others similar to me and I am nothing like servants too. I have no specific place in this world or society. It is just me....all alone.

I decide to look around this magnificent place. The main hall is in amber colors, a soft light from a gigantic chandelier falls on painted walls. Music fills my ears as well as different smells from food around are nudging my other senses. I see a balcony further away and a cool breeze draws me nearer. On both sides thick and heavy red curtains frame an opening. There is a garden on other side. Roses, lilies and other flowers mix the air with their sweet smell. In a middle there is a small tea house with few young girls in it. They are running around, chatting and laughing cheerfully. Their actions seem so joyful and genuine. I see them free, despite the fact, these girls must be in same situation as Edmund and all other highborn kids. 

A garden looks very similar to the one in Edmund's house, just plants and architecture is a bit different.

In time I find myself drifting closer to a spot with bubbling giggles of girls. Some of them have darker hair, some in the same shade, as those of a girl talking to Edmund. They look pretty, as the flowers in this garden. I stand near a wall not too close to them. Even though I am a girl, it is no place for me to be between these princesses. 

"What do you think, which one will be chosen?"

"I think it will be Maria. Her status matches more to young Wiltshire, than ours."

"But....wouldn't be it nice, if he actually chooses somebody, who he likes?"

"He will like Maria." One of the girls pointed out. "Also she is the prettiest of us all."

They all sighed. They are so young and all that is concerning them is their possible marriage with Edmund.

"In fact, we don't know what he is after, what kind of girl he likes..... Maybe he does these things for other purposes?"