29

"Where have you been, Thea? I thought you will never come." Elizabeth said in hushed voice.

"I am sorry. I couldn't get in time. All the work...."

"Come inside." 

Her room was warm and it had a weird smell of herbs or teas, but not unpleasant one. Rather odd, not something you smell every day. It made me even more sleepy, than I already was.

 Elizabeth took my dress and sat beside me on a bed. She started to do some work on it, with a needle in her hand, but my attention was so week, I barely saw, what or how she is doing it. I felt my eyelids shut tightly after few minutes.

***
"Thea! Thea! Wake up. Your dress is done. Thea!" I felt Elizabeth hand shaking me gently.

It took me a time to register, where I was. With sluggish moves I put my outfit back on. There was a pocket made, hidden in one of the crooks of long skirt, almost invisible. There I felt my earrings, safe and sound, finally with me again. 

"Thank you, Elizabeth. Thank you so much."

She responded with a small, warm smile. Elizabeth looked so motherly in a light of an oil lamp placed beside her bed. Of what I have seen today, she appears to be very mellow and gentle woman. With her calm voice, I am sure she could gain trust from everybody. Before I thought she might be like others, even though her appearance suggested her kind nature. You never know what hides behind these faces. Is it safe to trust people, you know nothing about? I hope this is not a case for Elizabeth - another person here, who can be my support...... I hope.

"Now, go to sleep. You surely needs a lot of rest."

A wide yawn broke free. "Good night, Elizabeth." I smiled at her too, with which she replied with the same expression.

My limbs felt like jellies and my eyes could shut at any moment again. I hurried back to Edmund's room, to find a place on my comfortable bear skin.

Today I didn't find a single minute to read any of the books. I felt so bad and disappointed at myself. 

"Sorry Edmund. I am so sorry......"

Without knowing I fell asleep.

***

"So this is where you have been, slave. Get up in an instant or you will get a good beating." A voice too familiar and frightening forced me to open my eyes. "Did you hear me?"

I saw Martha standing tall beside me with a smooth stick in her hands, with which she was poking me. I coiled in fright seeing a tool so familiar, but as a distant memory at the time like this. I didn't doubt her words, when she voiced her intentions.

"Why are you here? In master's bedroom? Have you no shame to be living in his space? GET UP!" 

"This is a place I have to sleep."

"Don't you say! Move!"

I walked out of the room in faster steps, than Martha. I didn't want to be close to her.

As I got through the doorway, a sharp pain went over my lower legs. I knew what it was. She hit me and even the fabric of my dress didn't protect me from the impact. It went all through and soon I will see the purple marks on my skin.

My body wanted to shed tears of pain, but with all my strength, I tried to suppress them. That's what Martha wanted to see - me, crying in pain. But she will never get that reaction out of me. She will not get a satisfaction of hurting another human being.

I hold in the pain, which did not go away for some time. 

"Come to the basements in servants wing. I have a good job for you." Martha smiled, like she would be my best friend.

These were basements for storing food in hot summer days. The air was cool and humid and in some places draft swept past me. It was dark. I saw some kegs piled up and other storage pots and boxes.

"You will clean all these old pots. I want them shining like silver. I want to see my face in them after you have done the scrubbing." Martha have lowered her face close to mine in attempt to make it extra clear to me.  

I looked them over. Pots were pitch black, almost blending with a dark corners of the basement and making them blend with the walls. Many. Stacked up in piles and seemed to be unused for a long time. I swallowed hard seeing the scene and work ahead of me. 

"Great. I will come to check on you later."

Martha left me standing in the dark room. The only light source came from a small window near a ceiling. I decided to go and ask for a lamp to Fiona and a scrub or something else to make my work easier.

Not too far I met her. She provided me with tools and came down as well, helping me carry buckets of water for washing. She was in disbelief.

"Martha is insane. Why would she make you do this? We don't need these pots. They have not been used for years. Despicable witch." She cursed.

I just shrugged.

"We have to do something. This cannot continue. Wiltshires have never treated anyone like this before. Not a single person. This woman is trying to change things in this house based on her own views or what?" The was a pained expression in her eyes.

"Can we write to Edmund and tell everything?"

"Write? A letter you mean?"

"Aha....."

"You silly.... Most of us don't know how to write. I myself know only few letters. Can you write?"

"N...no."

"This is bad. I even don't know whom to ask for help. Before I would ask Adele. She was the most educated from us all, but now..... I doubt if other maids know.....and it would be too risky. We don't know, who is on our side, who would want to see you suffer.... . There is only one left..... A butler Nicolas." 

I watched with hopeful eyes.

"You stay and do your work here, while I try to figure out something. OK?"

"OK."

***
I scrubbed and scrubbed and a day seemed to drag forever. Earlier Fiona managed to sneak some food down in here. I ate some and the rest hid in a dark corner, where no one would dare to look, at least not Martha.
The light was not enough to see fully my work progress, but some pots have been done by now. 

My fingers hurt as well as my palms. I could barely see through all the dirt, but I had a feeling they have started to bleed.  I didn't know how much further I will be able to make my task done by night.

I felt like today will be another day without a time on my studies. I miss the time reading books and getting knew knowledge about various things.

 I miss it, greatly..... .