27

For a day like this, weather was too good. Blinding light from sun was shining upon people gathered to say last goodbyes to Adele. She have left this household, her colleagues and this world all together to never return. She have died of illness, that had taken over her body and  sucked out all her living force.

All servants are attending Adele's funeral, me and even Edmund's parents. She was very important member of staff and I suppose soon there will be someone else to replace her, someone, who will take care of us, monitor our work and will take responsibility with other expenses concerning the housekeeping. 

I felt sad, I wanted to cry. Adele was nothing to me, a woman who hated and despised my existence. Whatever a reason for it might be, I knew in back of my mind, she must have been a good person deep down. Maybe she just chose to not show it to anyone. The way she talked about Edmund, suggested that she had some feelings for him.... motherly? Or something else? We will never know. She have taken all her secrets with herself. 

This is my first time seeing a dead person or attending a funeral and an experience is awful. I feel no special connection to her, but still it makes me terribly sad. I wonder, what it might feel like to loose someone much closer? It would hurt much worse, I guess. I do not want to see a day I will be faced with another situation like this. I do not want to loose important people in my life. 

Few tears leave my eyes as I squint in bright sunshine, some of them come from my bitter heart, some from blinding light. 

I feel Fiona's hands squeeze my shoulders. She is sniffing and crying along with some other servants. Stronger and more emotionally stable, keep their faces still, as they pay respects to deceased woman in silence.

***

As a day was nearing to an end, me and Fiona were sitting at a dinner table alone. She had lots of work today, so my friend have missed her dinner at regular time. I waited for her, because being alone here made me even more depressed than a day like this made it be. I didn't want to think of how lonely I am, since Edmund have left, so I joined her. She looked tired, as I saw her form slouched on a bench and table, while Fiona sipped the soup made earlier.

"What is going to happen now?" I said it almost in a whisper. 

"Who knows. I hope nothing will change much. I heard masters have found a new housemaid already." Fiona's face looked grim.

"New?"

"Aha..... "

"Who is it?"

"Hmmm... I don't know yet. Someone very good and professional, I heard. From a big city."

I didn't know how to feel. Excited or weary. Will she be like Adele? Better? Or worse? I just hope for the best. I have enough people in my life, who are not fond of me, I don't need more.

"I already miss Adele.  You might not know it, but she was ..... a fair woman." Fiona choked on a sob. 

"Maybe......"

We finished our meal in silence.

Whole night I was sleeping on my rag and thought about this new woman coming to work in this household. Does Edmund know about her? What kind of person she is? I have only guesses. 

Soon she will be here and be our new boss......, but not for me.

 Just like Edmund said, I am not a part of servants in this house.