11

My legs started to hurt by the amount of time I was standing and waiting for Edmund beside the door. I lowered myself against the wall and sit down feeling very exhausted. My stomach was empty and nothing gave me energy after a long walk outside.

Edmund was talking with someone very important in this room, I guessed. I could see it was bothersome for him, Edmund's face showed it, even though he tried to hide it.

Light footsteps came from hallway along with cheerful laughs. Someone was coming. I stood up and prepared myself to face whoever was on the way.

Few people were walking slowly, but only one who caught my eye was a woman in a beautiful outfit. Her waist was thin and the bottom of the dress almost looked like a cake decorated with lace and gems. It's creamy color almost blended in with her skin tone, if it wouldn't be as white as clean paper. Her blue eyes were shining brightly almost competing in beauty with crystals on her dress. She looked very beautiful and elegant with her blond wavy hair and for her age, she looked like a young woman.

Her laughs echoed through hallways.

"Look! We have a child here!" she pointed at me with a fan in her ladylike hand.

"Maybe she is one of servant's kids? Must be lost." A male beside her said into her ear.

I tried not to stare at them. I wished I could be invisible now and they would leave me alone. It was hard to listen in their comments as though I was not even present.

"Shusss! Shush! Get lost child! This is not a place for you." She tried to push me away with her fan like some kind of animal or pest, too afraid to touch me.

"I...I am not allowed to leave." I said quietly.

"Just listen ....! She talks!" the woman laughed arrogantly. "You seem not to know your place." Her voice cut in my ears. "Just wait until I tell about you to Young Lord Wiltshire. He will not be happy, I guarantee."

"I..I am sorry, but he told...."

"What is going on here!" Edmund's voice came from the half-opened doorway.

"Oh, my Lord. This little pesky girl said horrible things to me and does not want to leave." She made her voice sound sweet.

All the while I could not look him in the eye. I doubt my word will stand against this noble woman's accusations.

I could feel his eyes on me. I tried so hard not to show my tears.

"Do you have a problem with her being here, Mrs. Atkins?"

There was something in his words, that made her stutter. I could see her lips move up in an awkward smile and then back to serious face time and time again.

"Wellll,... I mean... my Lord, just look at her.... she is...."

"It is none of your business, why she is here and this is not your house. Mrs. Atkins, you should stop worrying about things that do not concern you. In this house, everything is still under my control." Edmund subtly warned her.

More words did not want to come out of her. Edmund dismissed her, left a door behind him opened and walked past her without taking a second glance.

"Thea! Come with me."

I tiptoed closer to him avoiding the glance given me by this woman.

"Go and bring lunch for me."He stopped suddenly, making me almost bump into him. "You know where to go and get food, right?"

I hesitated, but then nodded.

"OK. Then don't waste time. Hurry up. I am hungry."

***

I was a bit nervous. This was the first time I will be doing an order from Edmund. Somehow I had found my way to servant's house and I was heading straight to the door where the kitchen was if I remembered correctly...

It was long past midday, too late for lunch. But he must be hungry. In the midst of my tour of the house and the meeting with that nobleman, Edmund had not taken a bite of food. I did not see him have any.

My own stomach started making low grumbles. I was hungry too.... very. But I was not willing to just ask for my share. What if I was denied? I might receive punishment for that – for asking.

The old door came open after my hard pushing. It seemed to be sagged too low for functioning properly. All my strength was put in it until it was enough for me to slip in.

The smell of spices and the sweet aroma hit my nose and my mouth started to water. I heard feet shuffling and sound of boiling. Getting through the archway I saw some maids busy working.

As I didn't know how to approach them, I stood still in an archway and hoped someone will notice me.

One of the maids turned around and then I recognized her young face – Fiona. Her eyes landed on me and gleamed in happiness.

"Oh! Thea! What brings you here? Does the young Master want something? "

Other eyes come to me too. I felt a little bit taken aback by Fiona's kindness, as I was so unused to this kind of attitude towards me.

"Umm.... master wants something to eat," I said quietly with my hands clasped in front of me and my sight set slightly down.

"He didn't get his food?"

"....no... he had a meeting with this man."

"Aghh. Busy as always. He should at least spend some time with his parents by the dinner table. Poor thing. Master must be hungry as a wolf by now." Fiona let out a small laugh. 'Don't worry, Thea. I will get something for him. Do you need something for yourself too?"

I hesitated.

"Tell me, what are you allowed to eat? Did the Master tell you that?"

"No... "

"Shame, how he has forgotten about you." Fiona put her fingers in front of her lips and giggled like a young girl.

She quickly put some food for Edmund on a trolley, covered them in fancy dishes to keep them warm. Her hands moved so quickly, looked like she is used to this all the time.

"Here is something for you too." Fiona put a small bowl on a trolley as well and smiled sweetly.

"What is in there? For who?" an older woman in a black dress interrupted. I remembered her and my guess was, that she was a housemaid.

"It is for Thea – this girl. I am afraid she had not had a meal today, so I gave her..." Fiona's face was serious now.

"You should ask for my advice before you decide what kind of food to give a slave."

She peeked into a bowl and then in lightning speed threw it out in a trash bucket. Then calmly placed a bowl back on a table watching me with a hard stare. "Give her gruel from another kitchen." was her final word.