57

Edmund's POV

I came from long days spent in oak woods. I couldn't go home and sleep in the same walls, where Thea healed from my inflicted wounds and feel the hate she would give me. I was too much of a coward to face the consequences of my stupid mistakes. Fear of seeing her, was too great to handle. Only now I was ready to see her, if she will ever let me.  

I hope Thea's wounds are healing well. My best doctor attends her and I paid a fortune for him to aid only her in these passing days.

As I enter my house, some of my servants give me strange looks, but I couldn't care less. I have given up on everything.

In the house I see Fiona, her face holds sad expression. I can see her barely holding tears. I know, she hates me too, for what I did to Thea. 

"My... Lord!" She rushes up to me. 

I walk further in hopes to find Thea. I didn't see her in the room, she has spent her nights before or anywhere else. It felt like she is gone completely. Not a single room hold a trace of her. It saddens me. 

"My Lord, please, stop. Please listen to me!" Fiona was following me persistently. Like a ghost I drifted through the empty rooms.

I have reached my own room, where most of my memories associated with her. I see Maria laying lazily on my bed. Just a sight of her annoys me deeply.

"Finally, Edmund you have decided to come home. I have missed you deeply, I was worried."

"Where's Thea?" I feel like my voice have lost it's soul.

"Why is it only her you think about?" Maria was annoyed. "She probably run away. I would too, if someone like you hurt me."

"She wouldn't..." My voice broke between the words. I knew, that might be a possibility, but deep down I still hoped, that she wouldn't leave me alone. I need her.

"Edmund! You branded her like some animal! What do you expect, that she would fall into your arms after that?"

"No." I knew I have nothing to defend myself. 

"My Lordship." Fiona's timid voice came from a doorway. "I know, where is Thea."

I turned around and saw her face soaked in tears. 

"Your lady sold her to slavers."

"Shut up! Who told you to come here?" Maria spat.

I couldn't believe, what I just heard. Maria sold Thea. Without ever questioning me. 

With apologetic look, I asked Fiona to leave. I turned to face Maria, her face fuming in disbelief, most likely at Fiona's bravery to say about Maria's doing in her own presence.

"How dare you to sell her? She was mine. You had no right over her life."

"She was in the way of our marriage. I just made it easier for you, because I knew, you would never leave her for the sake of us."

"There is no such thing as 'us'. I would say differently, if you would care about me just little. I don't care about you either, though...."

"It is so stupid, that you only care about that slave of yours. I don't understand, why you ever cared about such a low being, why you bought her at all?"

"Don't call her like that. She has a name. To me she is not a slave. Thea has been my only friend and support throughout the years. She is the only person in my life, who sees me, for who I truly am. Not a rich nobleman, not the special bloodline carrying being nor a king. She sees me only as Edmund, just a simple man. Something none of you have ever acknowledged. Maria, you just see the title behind my eyes, the money and power I will possess, after I take my throne. You are just like my mother, who likes to show me to other people, how important I am for the country not for the people, that should be closest to me. From the day I was born, she never gave me a moment to be myself. All that mattered was , 'what others will think'. I wish I could have a childhood, time to play, be like a normal kid, get dirty and not care about a thing, be free. But people like you have denied these things from me, throughout my life.  Do this. Behave like this. You are not allowed... All because, I am some kind of long lost king, who will unite everyone. No one have ever asked, what I truly want. None! Listen to me! I don't want to be a king and never wanted before. ... And you know why I bought Thea? I saw myself in her. That little human being, treated like a toy to please everyone else, to do the things everyone else wanted, laying in the dirt and cared by no one. I couldn't get a better life for myself, but I wanted to give her the chance to experience something better, than she have ever known. I could give her all of that, but ........ have failed miserably. ... Maybe it was not a good idea to take her with me. I might have hurt her more, than she would, if living in other home. ... You know, Maria? I am not a king to you, not to my parents and not even for this land and people in it. I am just a slave... to make you all feel important and special. If I would be a king, I would have a right to decide things on my own...."

"Calm down Edmund, calm down.... . You can still be a king. Nothing is lost."

I took a time to get my breath and sanity back.

"Maria, because you have done the most cruelest thing to me.....by taking away the only person I have ever cared about.... Our wedding is canceled, there will be no 'king' EVER and..... by the time I return, I want you to be gone, from this house, from my life..."

"No...no, Edmund. Just listen! I can....."

"There is nothing you can do. Stop. If you don't leave, I will tell my guards to kick you out."

"Edmund! You can't do this to me! What will everybody think? I will be shamed for rest of my life! Rejected by the king!"

"See? There is your problem. All you see in me is only my tittle...."

I left Maria in the room by herself. She didn't sound happy, but I didn't care. All that occupied my mind, was how to find and get Thea back. Fiona was not far away.

"Fiona, tell James to prepare Storm for me."

"Storm is already tucked up outside. Please, please, my lord. Bring her back safe. Please!" She cried in my chest, her small hands balled up in fists and pulling on my shirt.